Summer Interns of Yesteryear

Name: Angela Santee ’13

Hometown: Newport, Washington

High School: Newport High School

Major/Minor: Psychology Major

Activities: Relay For LifeTheatre Shop, Service Cluster Board, Dance Marathon, general shenanigans

Study Abroad:  Montevideo, Uruguay;  Spring 2012.

Why did you choose Middlebury?

For me, the deciding factor was my interaction with students when I came for preview days. When you apply to a school like Middlebury, you know that the student body will be brilliant. What was more important for me was feeling as though I fit in with my peers. I could see myself being friends with the students I hung out with on campus and I loved that.

Why/How did you choose your major?

I chose to major in psychology because every semester my favorite classes happened to be my psych classes. It is easy to become overwhelmed when it comes time to decide on a major, but at the end of the day it’s all about what subjects are consistently the most rewarding or fascinating for you. For me, that was psychology.

What was your biggest challenge transitioning into the college atmosphere?

I’m from Washington State, which means there is a three-hour time difference between Middlebury and my hometown. I’m actually not the kind of person that needs to call home every day (try about every 1-2 weeks), but I am the kind of person that remembers important-information-to-tell-mom over breakfast. It sounds silly, but it was really difficult for me to stop calling my parents at odd hours of the morning (think 4-6AM PST).

What is your fondest memory of Middlebury thus far?

Definitely competing in The Hunt 2012 this past J-term is the most fun I’ve had in my past three years at Midd. The Hunt is this massive 4-day scavenger hunt that takes place each year where students compete in groups of 10 to complete over 100 tasks and trivia questions. My friends and I pulled a group all-nighter to turn in our clues before the deadline. Afterwards we went to breakfast bleary-eyed and covered in body paint and watched all of our team youtube videos. I actually don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life; my face was sore for two days, no exaggeration.

What is your favorite class/Who is your favorite professor?

Last fall I took Sociology of Gender with Laurie Essig. I chose to take the class completely on a whim about 5 minutes before my advising appointment, and it turned out to be one of the most fascinating classes I’ve taken at Midd. While the workload for the course was light and the discussions were a lot of fun, it was a difficult class in the sense that you had to really think about the material and work to apply it in order to do well.

What do you do in your spare time?

I enjoy painting and drawing. During the year my dorm room is covered in canvases and paper so that I can paint and doodle straight onto my walls. A significant stretch of free time will always result in a new piece of wall art in my room.

I also spend quite a bit of time working on the technical side of theatre. I work in the shop building sets for the faculty productions each semester  and sometimes I help with student-run productions as well.

Additionally, I’m a freelance quidditch fan, an avid Proctor panini maker, a sculptor of snow, and an ace at Peanuts! (a FANTASTIC card game).

If you were a Disney character, who would you be and why?

Pacha, The Emperor’s New Groove

He enjoys the simple things in life, he’s a great friend, he can rock a poncho, and he doesn’t mind hanging out with a talking llama/David Spade for the day. Also, HELLO, it’s John Goodman. Boom baby.

One piece of advice you would give prospective students in the admissions process?

I think it’s important for them to know that that definitive “aha!” moment, that love-at-first-sight “gut” feeling that so many people talk about while selecting colleges doesn’t happen for everyone. Seriously. How many tour guides/friends/cousins/classmates have told you stories about the moment they decided their school was “the one?” I love Middlebury and I can certainly understand how somebody could fall so fast for the place that is now my home. However, I think the “soul-mate school” mentality can be counter-productive if on every campus tour you’re expecting to “feel it” or move on. My process was much more drawn-out and reflective, more “pros and cons” than “she loves me, she loves me not,” if you will.

Name: Cody Gohl ’13

Hometown: Dallas, TX

High School: Hebron High School in Plano, TX

Major/Minor: English and American Literatures with a focus in Creative Writing

Activities: SIMMiddlebury MOTH Storytelling HourPoor Form slam poetry team, MIDD Slam, Sweatervest Literary Magazine, Somali Bantu Outreach, Middlebury College Musical Players

Study Abroad? (have you, or are you planning on it, where/when?): A semester in Madrid in Fall 2011

Why did you choose Middlebury?

Middlebury is a wonderful place to be a writer, which is one of the most significant factors that pushed me into our little slice of nowhere, 1,000 miles away from home–I get mountains and sunsets and nights full of stars and rich, meaningful conversations with people every day. If that’s not reason enough, I’m not sure what is.

Why/How did you choose your major?

ENAM (English and American Literature) sort of chose me. I came into school wanting to study Psychology. And then Spanish. And then Environmental Studies. And then Theatre. And then Italian. And then, out of the blue, I took a creative writing class and fell zanily head over heels in love with the English department and its crazy, passionate professors. I also get to read Shakespeare while all my other friends read Economics and Biology textbooks, which is a major plus.

The urgency of meeting and re-meeting and re-meeting dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of people every day for the first month of school or so. I had to let the ice settle in my drink a bit before I felt comfortable enough to make true, lasting friendships.

What I love about Midd is that, in every day, there is the possibility for a thousand amazing memories, a lot of which come true.

Foundations of English Literature with Professor John Bertolini. It just doesn’t get much better than having 14 kids in a room discussing Milton and Chaucer and Shakespeare with a professor unshakeable in his devotion to English literature. He made us all catch the bug, which is something I still carry around inside of me.

What do you do in your spare time?

In the little spare time that I have, I like to venture downtown and pour over the used books at the book store in Marble Works or share a coffee with a friend at Carol’s Hungry Mind Cafe. Sometimes, it’s even just enough to catch a nap in an adirondack chair.

Mary Poppins because I’m practically perfect in every way. And we have the same umbrella (actually).

Allow yourself to think about whether or not you’ll get into ____ College, but do not become consumed by your thoughts. Cherish where you are and the friends you have because in a year’s time, everything will change, whether you got into your “dream” school or not.

Name: Dan Egol ’13

Hometown: Briarcliff Manor, NY

High school: Briarcliff Manor High School

Major/MinorPolitical Science Major; Spanish and Sociology Minors

Activities: Admissions Tour Guide Coordinator, ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Student WorkerCCSRE (Center For Comparative Study of Race and Ethnicity) Intern, Research for the American Studies Department under Professor Burch, Men’s Club VolleyballTavern (Omega Alpha) (Social House, not fraternity)

Study abroad: Havana, Cuba (Fall 2011)

Why did you choose Middlebury?

Besides the fact that my favorite teacher in high school was a Midd Alum (who basically gave me no choice, but to come), I knew I wanted a school with a strong language program, had a campus distinct from any sort of town or urban environment, and a place that felt like what I conceived as the quintessential “college.” Middlebury was the first school that I came to visit and I immediately fell in love with the campus and incredible opportunities afforded to students. I also reasoned that going to Middlebury would provide me with the opportunity to go to school in Vermont and experience a part of the country I may not otherwise have.

Why/How did you choose your major?

I’ve always been interested in politics and how governments shape the world. Initially I wanted to do international studies with a concentration in political science, but found myself really gravitating towards my classes in the political science department and knew I would go abroad regardless of whether or not it was a required component of my major. Professor Carmola’s Intro to Political Philosophy really sold me.

To be completely honest, my experience transitioning to Middlebury was incredibly smooth. Emotionally and academically, I think I was just at the right time of my life to begin life at a 4-year residential college. Walking everywhere rather than having to take a bus or car was definitely a nice transition though. Vermont is the best place to be a pedestrian!

What’s your fondest memory of Midd?

So many to choose from! During Freshman year my entire hall (Stewart 4) used our funds set aside by the college for floor activities to go to the Farmer’s Diner in town for dinner. Dinner over milkshakes was the perfect way to get to know my hallmates in the beginning of the year, most of whom I’m still very close with.

Favorite class/Professor and why?

Again, I could really pick any of my classes that I’ve taken here, but if I have to choose just one it would be Intro to Disability Studies with Susan Burch. Professor Burch is a must-take professor at Middlebury and someone who has honestly changed my life. Her course was a CW (College Writing) and from the first day during which she began class by asking “who’s not here, who can’t be here?” I knew that the course would challenge the way I think about not only disability and access, but taught me to observe my structural as well as cultural environment through a new lens – one which I haven’t been able to turn off ever since!

What do you do in your spare time?

I love to read and to cook (read also: bake). When school isn’t in session I have a running list of classic novels and great works of literature, which, despite the fact that it seems to be growing at a rate faster than I can read, is something I love to do. Last summer while doing an internship in Washington D.C., a housemate and good friend started to teach me how to cook and bake all these really amazing dishes. My first was a strawberry short cake with hand-whipped whipped cream. After studying abroad in Havana last fall, I would say my signature dish is torreja, a Cuban version of French toast, which is served cold as a dessert. Delicious!

Without a doubt I’d be Mushu from Mulan, partially because I’ve always wanted to breathe fire, but more so because I hope that my advice (preferably less hazardous than his in the movie) has helped friends and families over the years. Plus, who wouldn’t want a lucky cricket as their friend?

If there is anything I can tell prospective student it’s be yourself in the application process. While it isn’t a perfect medium through which to convey your life up until college by any means, don’t engage in activities or take classes that you think look good. Don’t stress yourself out with an extra AP or IB course because you think colleges will like it. Of course I don’t mean to suggest that you should not challenge yourself in high school or before coming to college, but a lot of the admissions process is defining who you are as an individual, as a student, an athlete, a musician, a family member, what have you. I guess I would just say don’t let the hype and pressure surrounding what colleges expect from you compromise those more fundamental facets of who you are.

Name: Jimin Kang ’13

Hometown: Seoul, South Korea

High school: Hotchkiss School

Major/Minor: Double Major in English and Mathematics

ActivitiesSenior Admissions FellowCTLR (Center for Teaching, Learning, and Research) tutor

Study abroad: N/A I’m already Faux-broad?

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I’m from a crazy city. I was hoping to get away from the pressure of the bustling metropolis and find somewhere where I can find a peace of mind!

Why/How did you choose your major?

I decided to stick with the basics. Reading/Writing/Crunching numbers have to be useful in something!

I’ve never been to VT before I started Midd. Everyone’s so nice! I had a time taking everyone sincerely.

What’s your fondest memory of Midd so far?

Midnight jogs

Favorite class/Professor and why?

Relativity and Quantum Physics with Professor Ratcliff. He is CRAZY.

What do you do in your spare time at Midd?

Read, watch movies, take walks, etc

Piglet. I couldn’t tell you why.

Chill. You’ll find people you like, classes you love, and things you find interesting wherever you go!

Name: Khalid Tellis ’13

Hometown: Newark, New Jersey

High school: The Loomis Chaffee School

Major/MinorEnglish and American Literatures with a focus in Creative Writing

ActivitiesDissipated Eight, Middlebury Musical Players, PALANA House Resident 2010-2011, Circulation Desk Assistant at Armstrong Library, Oxford Union Society (While studying abroad)

Study abroad: I studied abroad Spring 2012 with the Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies in Oxford, England affiliated with Keble College/Oxford University

Why did you choose Middlebury?

During my visit, I felt the most comfortable and at home. I also love the beauty of Vermont, it is breathtaking at times.

Why/How did you choose your major?

In high school I thoroughly enjoyed my English classes and my History classes. After a few semesters of trying out various types of classes and subjects, I decided that being an English major would be the most rewarding major in the long run for me during my time at Middlebury. So far I have been correct.

The realization that in boarding school everything is much more scheduled than it is in college; in college you are more responsible for scheduling your day efficiently and keeping to that schedule.

Honestly, I have had way too many good times to point to one specific moment. However, one good memory is of my housemates in PALANA my sophomore year cooking and then enjoying a delicious Easter Sunday meal together. The experience was quite heartwarming.

Favorite class/Professor and why?

I don’t necessarily have a favorite class or professor, however, one class I highly enjoyed was a J-Term course I took with Professor Kathryn Kramer. It was an English class on boarding school literature fact and fiction, and the materials and discussions were extremely fascinating. The reading was especially enjoyable to read.

Sing and laugh with my friends and explore Vermont of course. It’s too beautiful not to.

Simba from The Lion King. Who wouldn’t want to be a lion, let alone one of the best and most loveable Disney characters ever?

I would suggest that a prospective student be flexible and open during the entire college process.

Name: Naila Jahan ’15

Hometown: New York, NY

High school: Bronx High School of Science

Major/MinorEnvironmental Studies w/ Economics

ActivitiesWonnacott Commons Council Tri-Chair, Wonnacott SGA Senator, Quidditch Club, Quiz Bowl, Debate Society

Study abroad: hoping to go to France or Sweden or Denmark!

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I was friends with an alum and she always told me how caring Middlebury is of its students and members and that kind of small, close-knit school was exactly what I was looking for.

Why/How did you choose your major?

I’ve always been interested in the environment and the field is always changing and developing, and I hope to make a contribution to it one day. One field I would really love to get into is environmental entrepreneurship.

Plucking up the courage to just go and talk to people. We’re all on the same boat but there’s still that thing holding you back, but I did it!

What’s your fondest memory of Midd?

Late nights hanging out in my room or a friend’s with ten other people (or even more) and just talking. Late nights are the best way to bond.

Favorite class/Professor and why?

Probably my First Year Seminar The Bronte Sisters with Antonia Losano. It was so awesome to be in a class of only 11 people who you lived and we discussed some of my favorite books which was great! Also, it was such a relaxed class atmosphere, everyone had a great time in it and Antonia is such a smart and sweet woman who knows her Victorian era like no other!

What do you do in your spare time?

When I’m not helping out in my Commons or taking part in clubs, I like to listen to music, go to town with my friends (especially for foooood), ride around campus on my beautiful bike named Crimson, and lay out in the sun on Battell Beach.

Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Who wouldn’t want to be a princess, in France, with a castle full of magic and talking furniture, and a hot prince (beast or not)?!

I know it seems really stressful right now and it’s good to be worried/nervous/etc. but just remember that everything always falls into place and works out.

Name: Philip Williams

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

High School: Williamsburg Preparatory High School

Major: Environmental Studies with an Economics focus. MinorChinese or Dance, not sure yet.

Activities: Pan Caribbean Student Organization, Residential Sustainability Coordinator, Distinguished Men of Color

Study Abroad: Beijing, China Fall 2013

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I researched environmental studies programs across the country and Middlebury’s appealed to me the most. Then I visited the school during the summer before my senior year and I fell in love with the place. Middlebury just had the IT factor.

Why/How did you choose your major?

I was always extremely interested in the environment and environmental issues from a very young age. I wasn’t raised in an environmentally conscious household and once I learned about the detriments and future dangers of not taking care of our earth I immediately began working on ways I could change my and my family’s behavior. After that I knew that exploring environmental issues and how to implement effective environmental change was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. That’s how I got my major.

It was definitely coming from a Big City and transitioning into a small town atmosphere. But after a while the town grew on me and then I came to appreciate the beauty of it.

Two weekends ago DMC threw a block party and Cook commons was throwing a carnival, it might have been the most fun I had had in years. It was right in the middle of crunch time and everyone was definitely in need of some fun and it was amazing, I will never forget it.

Education in America with Professor Tara Affolter. This class is absolutely incredible. Professor Affolter maybe the best teacher I have ever had. She is very personable, always willing to just chat with students, and is ready to help whenever you need it. Her lectures are engaging and informative and discussions are riveting. If you can in your Middlebury career, take this class.

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, my favorite thing to do at Midd is to talk. The people here have such diverse values and many different viewpoints and just by having an everyday conversation you can learn so much. Plus its a fun way to procrastinate.

If I were a Disney character I would be Iago from Aladdin. I am just as sarcastic and ironically loveable like him.

What is one piece of advice you would give prospective students in the admissions process?

Your parents are important in this process and they have good advice which you should listen to, but at the end of the day this is your future and you need to make a decision based off of what you really want.

Name: Ryan Coates

Hometown: Escondido, CA

High school: Orange Glen High School in Escondido, CA

Major/Minor: Double major- Spanish and International Studies

ActivitiesMAltFrench and Spanish Depts.

Study abroad: Cuba and Brazil planned for junior year

Why did you choose Middlebury?

The language programs as well as the liberal arts curriculum.

Why/How did you choose your major?

Spanish, because I love languages.  International Studies because it lets me combine my love of languages with practical applications.  It allows me to tailor my education to my own specific interests.

What’s your best memory of Midd?

Walking into the CFA (Center for the Arts) for the first time

Favorite class/Professor and why?

Spanish Poetry in Exile with Prof. Patricia Saldarriaga

Calm down and be yourself

Name: Shannon Muscatello ’13

Hometown: Andover, MA

High School: Lawrence Academy

Major: Psychology/French Double Major, Education Studies Minor

Activities: Middlebury Mamajamas (coed a cappella), Swing Dance, Salsa Dance, Psychology Peer Tutor

Study Abroad: Paris, France, Fall 2011

Why did you choose Middlebury?

This may sound corny, but Middlebury was the first place I visited where I could truly see myself. Logistically thinking things through with pros and cons didn’t really help me that much; the gut feeling was the most important. Actually, I was a waitlisted student. When I got the call, I was pretty much set on going to the school where I had placed a deposit. I almost didn’t choose Middlebury, but the gut feeling that I had when I was on campus really pushed it over the edge for me. I decided to take a risk and come to Middlebury, and I do not regret it one minute. As a normally homesick person, I expected the first week to be hard, but when I got here, it immediately felt like home (I know, sounds corny, but it’s true). I slipped into college life and was happy right away.

Why/How did you choose your major?

I am a double major in French and Psychology. I always knew that I wanted to be a Psychology major because I enjoy thinking about how other people work. I decided to do French as well because I’ve always wanted to be fluent in another language. I have studied French for 10 years now and just went abroad to France, and I am excited to have proficiency in the language. I also really want to raise my children bilingual. As crazy as it may sound, I also have a minor in Education Studies. I chose this because since I can remember, I have had a desire in the back of my mind to teach, I took a course here at Middlebury and enjoyed it so much that I had to continue.

I think the biggest challenge was managing my time. In high school, you have class all day, maybe a sport, and then you go do your homework. In college, I have days where I only have one afternoon class, and I have to make sure that I don’t waste my day and that I use my time, even in the morning wisely. You have a lot more free time, but more homework that you have to make time for as well. It’s not overwhelming, but time management is very important.

My fondest memory was in the first week of school. I had tried out for 4 a cappella groups and was anxiously waiting in my common room to find out if I had gotten into any of them. It was 12:30, and I was about to go to sleep when the Middlebury Mamajamas rush in and start singing and jumping around me crazily. I had gotten in. Looking back makes this memory the fondest because of all the memories that have come from it. The Mamajamas are my family at Middlebury, and the transition would have been much harder without them as a support system for me.

My Education professors are my favorites, Tara Affolter and Gregg Humphrey. They are teaching you how to teach, so they really do practice what they preach (that rhymed unintentionally). They make the classrooms hands on and discussion based more so than any other professors I’ve had here. They never talk at you; rather they talk with you. Gregg taught me one of my favorite classes this semester, “Elementary Math and Science,” where I got to learn about teaching young children, but then I got to put it into action at a school nearby. It was amazing to be able to teach the children and get to know them throughout the semester.

What do you do in your spare time?

Most of my spare time is spent with the Mamajamas. As I said, they are my family here, and I love to spend as much time as possible singing and hanging out with them. I also have other friends, though, with whom I like to salsa dance, swing dance, relax on Battell Beach, and have fondue nights. I love watching television and movies, and just lying outside at night and stargazing (the stars are beautiful here). Sometimes I even sing with friends as I stargaze.

Todd from The Fox and the Hound. He’s so loyal and loving and doesn’t understand when his friend is told not to  see him anymore because he cares so much about him.

What is one piece of advice you would give to prospective students in the admissions process?

I would say that it’s really important, if possible, to visit the schools you are considering. Getting a feel for the people and the atmosphere can make or break your impressions of a school, and you want to make sure that you will be comfortable wherever you choose to go.

Name: Zoe Kaslow ’15

Hometown: Wayne, PA

High school: Radnor High School

Major/MinorPsychology with Education Minor

ActivitiesWRMC Radio DJ, MCAB (Middlebury College Activities Board) Social Committee Co-Chair

Study abroad: Planning on St. Andrews for Fall of 2013

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I chose Middlebury because although everyone is extremely intellectual, there is more to Middlebury students than just their brains. Everyone is pretty easy going and knows how to have fun!

Why/How did you choose your major?

Every single Psych class sounded awesome!

Staying connected with my friends from home. It’s so easy to get caught up in everything that goes on here!

What’s your fondest memory of Midd?

Going to Snake Mountain on the last day my friends and I were all together for spring semester. It was perfect!

Favorite class/Professor and why?

Professor Jonathon Miller-Lane and Foundations of Peace Education. He absolutely changed my life. Take education classes at Middlebury!

What do you do in your spare time?

I like to go on walks or watch a movie on the big projector screen in Johnson. Power naps are also a favorite!

Belle. I love books and reading, and she’s pretty awesome!

You will end up at the school that is perfect for you. I promise! Ultimately, the schools that rejected me would have been terrible matches. So don’t stress too much!

Name: Zoe Parker ’13

Hometown: Ossining, NY

High school: Rye Country Day School

MajorHistory

ActivitiesWomen’s Glee Club

Study abroad: Fall 2011 at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I’ve been coming up to Middlebury all of my life and I’ve always been in love with the college. I knew that I wanted a small school in a rural setting.

Why/How did you choose your major?

I took Professor Armanios’ Islam and the Middle East:1453 to the Present and absolutely fell in love with the History Department. The professors in the History Department are by far some of the most intelligent, friendly, and engaging people whom I’ve met.

Initially, it was really hard to schedule my days. Nobody tells you how much more free time there is in college than in high school. It took awhile to learn how to manage your time and to make sure you get all of the work done.

Every moment spent in the Organic Garden. My friends and I try to get out there at least once a year to celebrate how lucky we are to be at Middlebury.

Favorite class/Professor and why?

I really enjoyed ENAM170 this past semester. It’s an intro creative writing class. I had never taken any type of class that required me to read my work aloud to my classmates. Once I got over the crippling fear, I learned how helpful my peers can be. It was also a hoot to see what crazy stories my classmates came up with.

If I do have a couple of minutes free in between classes and work, I like to stop by Proctor Dining Hall and see who is hanging around.

Toulouse from the Aristocats. I really like his bow and I really like Paris. On a bad day, I would consider trading places with him.

I only applied to six schools, only three of which had additional essays. It was a very manageable number of applications. Pretty much stress free! I had a great time traveling around and visiting schools with my parents. I would tell students to not go overboard with the number of colleges that they apply to and to only apply to schools where they can see themselves being happy.