Luis Alvarez ’14

Luis

Hometown: Lynn, MA

High School: The Governor’s Academy

Major/Minor: Economics major, Spanish and Sociology minor

Email: lmalvarez@middlebury.edu

Activities: Men’s Basketball, Residential Life Team

Study Abroad? I studied abroad spring 2012 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was a great experience and I look forward to going back and reconnecting with the wonderful people I formed relationships with.

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I chose Middlebury because it offers someone with my interests the complete package. Middlebury values academics, athletics, and student curiosity. In terms of academics, the work is rigorous and professors demand a ton from their students. Athletically, administrators and students alike are very supportive of all teams. Finally, students are strongly encouraged to pursue their passions both within and beyond the classroom.

Why/How did you choose your major?

The great thing about Middlebury is that you can take multiple courses in different departments. After my first into-level economics course, I knew that I would be a major. I was intrigued by how useful it is to apply economic theory to everyday decision making.  Although I am an economics major, my semesters are typically made up of a diverse set of courses.

What was your biggest challenge transitioning into the college atmosphere?

My biggest challenge transitioning to college was time management. It was easy to procrastinate with so many peers around and so many things going on. I am now much more organized and know how to prioritize how I spend my time. To do lists and planners were once strangers to me and are now my best friends.

What is your fondest memory of Middlebury thus far?

Our run to the 2011 Basketball Final Four has been my fondest memory thus far. I remember how much excitement the team generated within the college and town. I definitely see myself referencing that spring when thinking back on my ‘Glory Days’.

What is your favorite class you’ve taken here?

I enjoy all classes taught by Professor Chong-suk Han of the Sociology department. I have taken four courses with him and they have all been wonderful. Social Psychology in Sociology was the first that I had with him and it drastically changed my perception of the world and everyday interactions.

What do you do in your spare time?

I like to spend time with friends, workout, and watch random documentaries on Netflix.

Which Harry Potter character would you be and why?

I would be Harry Potter because he’s the only character I’m familiar with. From what I’ve seen he seems like a nice guy. And I would definitely enjoy flying on a broom and whatnot.

You’re taking a cross country road trip: which Middlebury professor do you bring along and why?

I would actually bring Atwater Dean, Scott Barnicle, and Commons Coordinator, Debbie Cousino, on a cross country road trip with me. I spend so much time in their office talking about all kinds of things that I think we would have an interesting trip full of good times.

One piece of advice you would give prospective students in the admissions process?

Enjoy the process and make a decision based on what feels right to you.