Mauli Whitney ’17

mauli

Hometown: Jakarta, Indonesia

Major/Minor: Psychology

Email: Mwhitney@middlebury.edu

On-campus Activities: Middlebury College Musical Players, ASL Club President, intramural sports

Commons: Ross

Why did you choose Middlebury?

I chose Middlebury because I knew I wanted the small liberal arts feel in a college, but there were aspects of the Middlebury curriculum which set it apart from other schools. J-term, for example, is one of my favorite times of the year and is something that is unique to Midd. The college’s academically rigorous yet non-competitive atmosphere was also something that I really valued and was looking for in a school. As someone living abroad, I didn’t get a chance to visit the campus, so I really relied on my gut instinct to come here, but I’m glad to have made the choice that I did. 

Did you study abroad? Or are you planning to go abroad?

I’m still a rising sophomore so I haven’t studied abroad yet, but I do plan to possibly go to the U.K. or in Australia my junior year. 

Favorite study spot on campus?

Starr Library in Axinn is one of the most beautiful spaces on campus, it’s hard not to at least attempt to be productive there. I keep discovering new places to work though, and have ended up everywhere from the Grille to the greenhouse in Bihall. 

Favorite class or professor at Middlebury (or both)?

I really enjoyed my first year seminar, called ‘The Journey Within’. It was taught by Maria Hatjigeorgiou, an amazing woman who is also the Ross Commons Faculty Head and provided a mentorship role for me outside the classroom. The course was my first introduction to college level discussions, and we read everything from Socrates to JD Salinger. It was definitely a great way to start my Middlebury experience. 

Your biggest challenge adjusting to Middlebury?

I had only lived in cities in Asia of 12 million people or more my whole life, so you could say the move to small town Vermont was a bit of a change. Once I got involved in activities however, it kept me busy and prevented the feeling of being stuck in the Middlebury ‘bubble’. There are all sorts of activities going on around campus all the time, so it was really just a matter of stepping out and finding what I was interested in. 

Best Proctor Dining Hall creation?

I tend to stick to Ross Dining Hall because it’s connected to my dorm (and who doesn’t want to go to breakfast in their PJ’s), but I did make a mean dessert using the Proctor panini machines – chocolate chips and peanut butter on an english muffin.

Advice for a prospective student?

For the college application process in general, I would definitely say know yourself and what you find most important to be happy at a school. Choosing a school is a huge decision, and it’s important to trust your own instincts and not just rely on the rankings. For Midd prospies specifically, bring warm clothes! You can never have too many winter clothes! Also, don’t be afraid to try something new when you enter college. There are so many awesome opportunities available to you that you should take advantage of.