One thought on “Bear and Squirrel

1. Kirk Horton Post author

In this piece, I tried to explore something that we had not experimented with too much in class: the human voice. Every sound in the piece, except the low rumble of the trees and the snapping of twigs, was produce by my voice (plus effects). I had a lot of fun exploring this aspect of sound design, as it was something we hadn’t done up to this point. When I started the project, I had planned on making a vocal soundscape, much like what Sam and Jason produced. However, after beginning the project, I realized that this was not what I wanted to do with my final, and that I kept getting caught in creative blocks while I was making it. So, with that in mind, I wrote the script for this story, and employed my voice to do the rest. When it came to editing the piece, I ran into some trouble with digital clicks. Had I had a little more time, I could have continued to try to remove them, but with the time I had (I started late, like every Middlebury kid does on every project), I had to focus my energy elsewhere.

I had a lot of fun creating this project, and while it might have been a little more narrative and humorous than most other projects, I still think it showed an another way to assemble a creative piece using ProTools.