Reading Response #1

“The Three Listening Modes” provided me with an exciting insight into what we are going to be studying throughout the semester. To be completely honest, almost the entire reading was full of new concepts for me. The idea that there are different types of sound makes sense, but it is something that I had never thought of concretely before. Because I have a limited background in sound and sound related production, many of these concepts are new to me, which is exciting. The world of sound in film is so immense and so important to the pictures, that I feel like I am just at the tip of the iceberg. As the semester progresses, I am curious to see how my perception of sound will change, and how new skills that I develop will help me refine my films. As we learn more about the science behind sound and how it has developed in the world of media, I will be able to use these tools to great effects (hopefully!).

One thought on “Reading Response #1

1. David Miranda Hardy

You are right, it will be your perception that will change. Chion refers to our attitudes about listening more than actually different kinds of sounds. A voice in speech might be received in all three modes: semantic (paying attention at the relationships between phonemes and their meaning), causal (who is talking?) and reduce (the particular characteristics of its sound).