meeting future energy needs: conflict and cooperation
senior manager, international operations, shell oil, based in washington, dc (since february 2010). prior to that he was regional external relations director africa, based in lagos, nigeria, for five years as part of his 20-year career with shell. based in den haag, stockholm, london and oslo, he has been engaged in projects and work in most parts of the world. prior to shell, he served as a diplomat at norwegian embassies in iraq, saudi arabia and iran, and with united nations.
thurs, nov 15 4:30pm-6pm
robert a jones ’59 conference room
(“raj con”, towards the cemetery on the road behind proctor)
we hope that the middlebury community will take advantage of mr. ljosne’s visit by listening and engaging in his talk. we also would like listeners to get more out of the talk by being informed. we hope that this interests you and that you will check out the resources we have compiled:
- amnesty international’s 2012 report on nigeria – skip to section on niger delta for relevant info
- two independent articles on shell financing human rights abusers in nigeria
- shell’s 2011 sustainability report – covers financial, environmental, and social performace
- an independent website aiming to hold shell executives to their business principles
- a public chat-room conversation from 2009 hosted by shell representatives concerning shell’s operations in nigeria
- an article about the good work shell is doing to give-militants job training
- interestingly, mr. ljosne also had to deal with a hoax press release at one point – the ramifications for him were pretty bad.
- a day in the life of mr. ljosne when he was still working in nigeria
- shell boasts that goldman sachs ranked them in second place in terms of evironmental, social, and governance (esg) sustainability for energy corporations. goldman sachs, however, issued this disclaimer on their relationship with shell and its bearing on their research.
Find out more about our group at go/divestforourfuture
Find out more or invite friends through our Facebook event: