Student organizations can be started at any time between October and April. If you are considering to create a new student organization, an important question to ask yourself as you follow this process is: “What does this organization give/do for Middlebury College that no other organization does?”
Listed below is an overview of the process you will need to follow:
- Download a copy of the Middlebury College student organization constitution template. This template includes some mandatory sections for your constitution.
- Download a copy of the Finance Committee proposed budget template. You will use this template when requesting funding from the SGA Finance Committee (SGAFC). Please note: the discretionary funds allotted for snacks and printing requirements for your org.
- Organize your first meeting of interested students. At the meeting, discuss the purpose of your organization and possible events and draft your constitution and your proposed budget.
- Find an adviser for your group from the full-time faculty or staff members of the College.
- Log into MiddLink (go.middlebury.edu/middlink). Click on the “Organizations” tab at the top and then click on “Register a New Organization” (on the left). You will need to include a proposed constitution, proposed events, tentative budget, and roster of interested students (typically a roster will include at least 10 students).
- Your submitted application will be reviewed by the SGA Constitution Committee (SGACC) Chair. If your organization seems viable, you will be invited via email to make a presentation for the SGACC. Please note: proposed community service and volunteer organizations will be directed to the Service Cluster board before meeting with the SGACC.
- Following your meeting, the SGACC will vote whether or not to approve your group. You will be notified of the SGACC’s decision via email.
- If approved, you will arrange to meet with JJ Boggs in Student Activities to finalize paperwork, receive training, and access resources.
- After meeting with JJ Boggs, arrange a meeting with the SGAFC. Meeting information may be found here on the SGAFC website. Please note: funding is not guaranteed from the SGA Finance Committee.
Please contact the Chair of the SGA Constitution Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this process.