In our first week, we will introduce the two ideas at the heart of our course, the liberal arts and social entrepreneurship.
Material for Monday, January 6
- “Social Entrepreneurship in the Liberal Arts” and related video. Jonathan Isham. 2011 and 2102.
- “Funded: Sword and Plough“
- An example of public narrative from Joy Cushman
- “A conversation with Marshall Ganz.” The Nation, February 21, 2011.
- “Telling your Public Story: Self, Us, Now.” Marshall Ganz
Material for Wednesday, January 8
- “My Pedagogic Creed.” John Dewey. 1897.
- “Only Connect: The Goals of a Liberal Arts Education” William Cronin. 1998.
- “On Agape.” 1 Corinthians 13.
- “What is Liberal Education?” Jeff Freyman. 2009.
- “Fear of Being Useful.” Paul Jay and Gerald Graff. 2012
- “The Evolution of the Liberal Arts at Middlebury College.” Andi Lloyd, Department of Biology and Dean of the Faculty, Middlebury College.
Material for Friday, January 10
- The Middlebury College mission statement. 2006
- “Social Entrepreneurship: The Case for Definition.” Roger Martin and Sally Osberg. 2007. Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Social Entrepreneurship: What Everyone Needs to Know. David Bornstein and Susan Davis. 2010.