In our first week, we will introduce the two ideas at the heart of our course, the liberal arts and social entrepreneurship.
Material for Monday, January 7
- “Social Entrepreneurship in the Liberal Arts” and related video. Jonathan Isham. 2011 and 2102.
- An example of public narrative from Joy Cushman.
Material for Tuesday, January 8
- “My Pedagogic Creed.” John Dewey. 1897.
- “Only Connect: The Goals of a Liberal Arts Education“ William Cronin. 1998.
- “On Agape.” 1 Corinthians 13.
- “After Words with Anthony Kronman” CSPAN. 2008.
- “What is Liberal Education?” Jeff Freyman. 2009.
- “Fear of Being Useful.” Paul Jay and Gerald Graff. 2012
- Liberal Arts Education: Aggregated responses from Middlebury Faculty
Material for Thursday, January 10
- The Middlebury College mission statement. 2006
- Social Entrepreneurship: What Everyone Needs to Know. David Bornstein and Susan Davis. 2010.