Applications are sent to students at the beginning of the spring term and are due sometime during the first few weeks of March. The application is reproduced below for informational purposes only; please don’t send in unsolicited applications!
The Queer Studies residential experience offers students unique opportunities to learn and build community. Established in the Spring of 2008, the Queer Studies Academic Interest House is a living space dedicated to the principle that the study of sexuality and gender identity is integral to the promotion of diversity and a necessary portion of a complete academic, social, and residential college experience.
Leadership and scholarship are central to the Queer Studies House mission. Students will demonstrate both leadership and academic interest in Queer Studies and the issues that face members of the queer community both on campus and abroad. Additionally, members will promote a safe space for people of all sexual and gender identities. Students who have demonstrated leadership and academic interest in diversity and queer issues are highly encouraged to apply. We are flexible about applicants only on campus for a semester and welcome applications from students currently abroad. Please e-mail all completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions: We firmly believe in the right for individuals to define themselves. Accordingly, there is no word minimum or maximum. When answering the questions, respond to the best of your ability. Most importantly, be sure to make us laugh.☺
- Why do you want to reside in a facility with an academic focus on Queer Studies?
- Please explain how your leadership activities and academic interests support the mission of the Queer Studies House.
- What unique personal qualities can you bring to the House? What does the Queer Studies House mean to you? Finally, what kind of community should the Queer Studies House foster?
- What course(s) have you taken (or will take in the future) that relate to Queer Studies? What faculty member(s) have you worked with to further your academic interest in this area?
- Please list events, programs, or organizations in which you have led or participated in that you believe helped to further your commitment and understanding of queer issues on campus.
- In what issue(s) are you particularly interested? Feel free to make it general, but please include at least one issue currently affecting the queer community. Also, how would you translate your particular interests into events for the House?
- Are you interested in being the RA for QSH and if so, what qualities/experience do you have that would make you eligible for the position?
- What features do you most care about in a room? Size? Privacy? Light? Storage space? Feel free to mention activities that affect your rooming needs.
Directions: Be creative. Be open. Be yourself. Be brief (1-3 sentences).☺
- If Hollywood were to make a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you?
- How are M&Ms made?
- Without any kind of outside or inside help, describe an atom.
- Do you believe in ghosts? If yes, have you seen one before?
- Tell us about your best friend.
- Tolerance and respect for ALL.
- Attend all House Meetings. Your attendance is required.
- Reside in the Queer Studies Academic Interest House during fall and/or spring of the academic year.
- Participate in house programs. You must take a leadership role in at least two major/important events sponsored by the Queer Studies House.
- Treat the House and its property, residence, staff, and guests with consideration and respect.
- Maintain an active and serious academic commitment to Queer Studies and GLBT awareness.
- Assume leadership roles and positions of responsibility and authority within the residential component of the House. Roles may include, but are not limited to: Liaisons to the Commons, Intra-House Communications, Community Service Officer, or Events Coordinator.