Rejoice, He’s dead!

American tendencies towards Patriotism have always somewhat alienated me. I think that has a lot to do with me being German and therefore traditionally feeling a little uneasy about excessive love to a country. So it is my understanding that last night was a glorious night for the United States and there is reason to celebrate.

Mmh, I do not mean to get political, it’s certainly not my field of expertise. I just feel really weird about the notion that after ten years and two wars, killing Osama Bin Laden is such a triumphant moment. Killing anyone, even a terrorist, doesn’t really strike me as a great occasion to party. Also what exactly has changed now?

As so many I watched Obama’s address last night and found myself having very mixed feelings about this. I can’t even put my finger on it, I’ve never been this crazy about Obama (even though I’m obviously with the Democrats) but seeing him flirt with Bush-esque patriotic rhetoric was kinda disappointing.

I guess at least it’s gonna help him for the upcoming election next year. Still, this leaves a strange taste in my mouth.