Priceline Ad

So, I got food poisoning last night and had to be in bed, so I had nothing to do but watch Hulu. I watched Years in Tibet and Mo’ Money (just because it sounded so ridiculous). The film follows 2 black men (starring brothers Damen and Marlon Wayans) in some sort of business scam, or what have you. You know the formula–bad neighborhood, drugs, big-bootied women, and the like. What struck me though, was the Priceline ad that was shown just seconds before the movie started.

“Priceline.com: No one deals like we do.” Normally, I wouldn’t think anything of that ad, but juxtaposed to the film that was being shown (in reference to content as well as target audience) the word “deals” suddenly took on a different meaning. Now, I rarely pull out the “race-card” but it just seemed interesting that an ad (one which I have never seen before) should use that particular wording before that particular film. Had the movie been, let’s say, Lord of the Rings, would the ad have read “Priceline.com: We’re the one.” What about if it had been Harry Potter, would the ad have read, “Priceline.com: Expect-o great things” (I can continue the nerdy references, but I’ll cap it here). Maybe it was all coincidence…but then again, maybe not. Ah, the subversiveness of advertising…let’s breathe it all in, shall we?

Priceline