Feed on
Posts
Comments

Recently, I had a great conversation with Dave Reidel and Torri Ross, Midd alums from the Class of 1998. They will soon leave for Ghana for a two-year stint with the HIV/AIDS programs funded by PEPFAR (President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief). After graduation, Dave went to medical school at Penn State, completed a residency in internal medicine at Johns Hopkins, and then completed a fellowship in infectious diseases at University of Maryland. An HIV/AIDS expert, Dave has pursued several research projects in India, Singapore, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, and Rwanda. Not to be upstaged, Torri earned an MPH at Tulane and then spent two years in the Peace Corps as a community health volunteer in Nepal. She returned to the US and settled at Johns Hopkins for the next five years and did research in women’s health with one study based in Ghana. Torri then completed an RN in nursing, and for the past year has worked as a nurse at the University of Maryland. Oh yeah, at some point in their peripatetic lives they managed to get married.

Torri and Dave’s passionate interest in global health is shared by many other Midd alums. UCLA Assistant Professor Annie Rimoin is investigating the emergence of monkeypox as a human disease in Africa. Rick Hodes has dedicated much of his professional life to caring for patients in Ethiopia, and has formed an international network of surgeons that perform corrective surgery on Ethiopian children. As the president of Save the Children, Charlie MacCormack leads an organization that is respected around the world.

I would like to hear from others in the Middlebury community who are working in global health. Write back with your stories and we will begin to build an alumni network as a resource for current students. Why would such a resource be useful? Well, so far this year, four students are busy designing majors in global health and development though our independent scholar program. A fifth proposal is already in committee review. These students are mining our curriculum for courses in global health and development and have created a solid foundation. Summer internships in global health would enhance the meaning and significance of this academic work, and so I am eager to know of off-campus opportunities that I can share with interested students.

I would also like to know whether there is interest out there in formalizing these curricular interests in global health. By assembling the right combination of courses in sociology and anthropology, political science, economics, foreign languages, and the sciences, along with unique opportunities to pursue internships in global health, perhaps through study abroad, we could create a minor in global health. Is this a good idea? Post a comment and let us know.

260 Responses to “A Passion for Global Health: Guest Blog by Bob Cluss, Dean of Curriculum”

1. Tips Cara Mengatasi Kelopak Mata Bengkak Sebelah Dengan Cepat says:

This is my visit were nice and helpful.
    hopefully blessing, helpful and useful article. I really like your article
    Thank you for sharing.

2. Tips Cara Mengatasi Mata Lelah Karena Terlalu Lama Di Depan Komputer says:

A visit me useful.
    Articles and its content was very nice and interesting. awaited continue newest posts are definitely more stable.
    So thanks a lot for sharing the article cool with me

3. Cara Mengobati Mata Kering Dan Perih Dengan Cepat Dan Mudah says:

I really like the articles you post, it was nice and interesting.
    Awaited update latest article.
    hopefully more success, blessing and rewarding. thank you

4. filmes online says:

o blog de vocês é muito bom, simplesmente um dos melhores, venho aqui sempre…
    http://www.assistirfilmesonline20.com

5. Khasiat Buah Alpukat Untuk Asam Lambung says:

Visits useful.
    A very good article, writing is good, positive and exciting.
    Content interesting, creative, and easy to understand it.
    Awaited next article posting. Thank you

6. Cara Mengatasi Nyeri Otot Pinggang Sebelah Kiri says:

posting the best articles, great content, interesting, positive and creative.
    Hopefully keep posting and sharing other recent articles.
    Thank you, hopefully more prosperous and successful

7. Cara Alami Mengatasi Mata Berair says:

An article that is quite nice, too nice and interesting content.
    We continue to wait for his latest article postings, may keep posting and sharing.
    Thank you, greetings healthier and hopefully more successful

8. Tips Mengatasi Pengapuran Sendi Di Usia Muda says:

Having read this I believed it was very enlightening. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments.

9. Inilah Makanan Sehat Yang Baik Untuk Penderita Pengapuran Tulang says:

My visits are beneficial
    This article is very nice and helpful at all, I really like, for that I hope you could post a more recent articles.
    I say thank you and wish you further success