Feed on

The holidays are coming up, have you planned ahead and made all your preparations for travel? Remember, F1 students should take care of the following whenever traveling out of the U.S. and returning as well.

If you are an F1 student traveling out of the U.S. and are planning to return, don’t forget to check the following:

  • The expiration date of your U.S. Visa
  • The expiration date of your I-20
  • If you have recieved a travel signature from a Monterey Institute DSO ((Designated School Official)) on the third page of your I-20 within 6 months of the date you will travel out of the US.

After you’ve checked the above:

If you need to re-apply for a U.S. visa, you can fill out and submit a request form for a Letter of Support from the Office of International Services as well as come in to see us for advice.

If you need to extend your I-20, please have your academic advisor complete the Recommendation for Extension of a Program of Study and then submit it to the Office of International Services.

As mentioned above, in order to re-enter the U.S. without complication you will need a travel signature from a DSO (Designated School Official) at the Monterey Institute on the third page of your I-20.

If you need a travel signature, please come in advance to see Designated School Officials Kathy Sparaco, Gail Lu, Shawna Routh or Ashley Arrocha at the Office of International Services and Office of Student Services in order to get your I-20 signed for travel.

More information about travel and re-entry can also be found at the OIS Website.

Remember, if you have any questions, please ask us anytime by emailing visas@miis.edu or calling 831-647-4128. You are also always welcome to stop by!

One Response to “F1 students: Planning to travel out of the U.S.?”

  1. […] Additional information about international students and travel out of the U.S. can be found on the OIS blog at this post. […]

Leave a Reply

Sites DOT MiddleburyThe Middlebury site network.