Feed on

USCIS is currently taking at least five months to process the EAD card for an F-1 student.  If you have applied for OPT and it has been longer than 90 days without an approval, you may follow these steps:

Step 1: Call USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-(800) 375-5283 and record the time/date of the call and the name/number of the customer service representative:

  • Explain to the customer service representative that your EAD has been pending more than 90 days and ask for a “service request.” You should receive a response to your service request within a week; OR,
  • Ask the customer service representative to request an interim card for you.  You should receive an EAD or response within a week.

Step 2: If you choose to visit a local USCIS office, schedule an INFOPASS appointment to visit that office on www.infopass.uscis.gov. At the appointment, ask to apply for an interim EAD. Note that USCIS local offices no longer issue interim EADs. The local office can review your case and determine eligibility. The local office will forward your request to the USCIS service centers. You should receive an EAD or response within a week.

Step 3: If you have tried both Step 1 and Step 2 and have still not received your EAD or an interim card, please email our office at cisombudsman.publicaffairs@dhs.gov with the details of your efforts.  Please include the date and time of your call to the NCSC and the name of the customer service representative.  If you visited a USCIS office, please provide that information. We will look into your case and review how we may be of assistance.

Please be sure to wait 90 days after the receipt date of your OPT application.  For more information, contact OIS at visas@miis.edu.

Leave a Reply

Sites DOT MiddleburyThe Middlebury site network.