The Faces of a Farming Tradition

With a little extra time over his break this past spring, Levi Westerveld ’15 decided to pursue his interest in portraiture and begin sketching the local farmers around his home in the Dordogne region of southwestern France, where agricultural traditions are fast becoming a thing of the past. The sketches became an impressive exhibit at 51 Main, and here Levi talks about the people in the drawings, their individual stories, and his sketching process. (For more of Levi’s work, visit his website.)

Tags: ,

Leave a comment »

1. Fabulous! Wonderful feature. Thank you for sharing your incredible work, Levi. I look forward to “chapter 2,” after your experience in China! TNS

2. I love your portaits of the French farmers in Dordogne. You have truly captured their images as men/woman of the soil. The stories you tell about each person also helps make that connection to the person even stonger and your art more unique. Being of Basque heritage , I have also seen the dying practice of traditional farming in the Basque country which saddens me very much. So many traditions and customs are being lost due to technology. It is commendable that such a young person, as you, be so sensitive to this issue. Thank you. I look forward to seeing future sketches.

3. Your portraits are excellent. Having studied portrait drawing for 9+ years I know how difficult it is to draw a good portrait AND capture the likeness of the subject. I also like that you used a traditional method to make the portraits: drawing. Most people would have taken the easy way out and snapped a quick photograph with their iPhones. Never stop making your art!