How Did You Get Here, Benjamin Miller ’14.5?

“How Did You Get Here?” is an annual series produced by the Middlebury Fellows in Narrative Journalism.

Tags: ,

Leave a comment »

1. I bought Benjamin his first microphone because I knew he had the gift of sound! I too am a rabbi’s child and sibling and also aunt, I am his father’s only sibling his sister. I revel in Benjamin’s noise! He is a blessing!

2. To the unacquainted, beat boxing may seem like a childish attention seeking behavior. Nothing could be further from the truth; it is a finely honed skill that takes years of dedication to master. Listening to Benjamin practice this in his formative years, brought all the joy of hearing a young child learn to play the violin. His parents would beam as they forced us to listen to “what Benj can do”, and our forced smiles would mask our inner cringing. I would have rather gone to the dentist. But Benjamin pushed on, undeterred, to master the difficult skill of beat boxing, learn all of its nuances, and become the virtuoso that we see before us in this pictorial

View More
    narrative (ala Ken Burns). Benjamin, with Grandma Anita’s purple fur coat as your companion, I know that your beat boxing will serve you well no matter what career path you choose. Be it medicine, law, business, cyber-crime, even environmental science, be sure to utilize your beat boxing prowess and you will rise to the top of your field. I am no longer embarrassed. Rather, I am proud to be your uncle

View Less