What’s Happening at Old Stone Mill?

It may boast a stoic and traditional exterior, but behind the doors of Old Stone Mill, all kinds of crazy things are happening. Crickets are a nutritional snack, origami makes great jewelry, and ten strangers get together monthly for a dinner party.

Based on the premise that students need space to explore their ideas, the OSM, as it’s known, is a hub of student-driven activity. Interested students can present their non-academic and self-designed project ideas to the all-student board, who then select tenants for each semester.

Middmag went to OSM’s fall showcase and met up with some of the current tenants, including an app developer, a clothes designer, a group opening a beauty salon for women of color, and many other creative and ambitious young folks.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a comment »

1. OSM — This is the coolest place doing the coolest things by the coolest people — YAY!

2. I still have a mug from the days when Frog Hollow sold pottery. It has a very 60s, “groovy” design. That was the innovation of the day. I’m glad there’s still creativity happening there.

3. I am truly awed. A Middlebury education now provides origami jewelry, hair care, clothing design, and dinner parties. Should I send my children to hairdressing school or finishing school? It certainly would be $250,000 cheaper!

4. What a wonderful way for Middlebury students to be part of the broader community and to expand their undergraduate experience in creative and idiosyncratic ways. And the range of offerings are impressive! I’ll be sure to stop by next time I am in town. Thanks!