Here They Come!

With an expected sense of nervous excitement, this summer’s latest batch of new students arrived at the Bread Loaf School of English last Monday. But any signs of anxiety quickly gave way to calm comfort as many of those students were greeted by none other than the director herself, Emily Bartels. With her warm smile, welcoming hand, and wonderful sense of humor she set the tone, once again, for a fun and rewarding summer.

Tags: ,

Leave a comment »

1. To me, Bread Loaf was an amazing place to be. I am a professional educator so to witness the learning and the excitement of that environment was inspirational. I was able to take that inspiration back to Iowa and apply it to my work for Drake University.

My experience at Bread Loaf was as a theatre staff member so I was not in the classroom. No matter, working with and around the students and faculty while producing theatre immersed me in this learning environment. All seven years I remember thinking that if the faculty and staff from Drake could observe how learning takes place at Bread Loaf, the learning at Drake would advance.

Ed and Victoria, it is

View More
    GREAT to see you in this video!

I miss Bread Loaf so very much. I wish everyone all the best!

John Pomeroy
    Theatre Staff
    1992-1998

View Less
  2. Congratulations to all of you summering with Bread Loaf staff and students.
    My summers (1995, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005 at Green Mountain and Santa Fe programs–it took me a while to work my way through my program) were among the most mentally stimulating times I ever remember. Professors and students alike provided a sand-box of the mind; castles were built and pulled apart (that an intended mixed-metaphor, I might add).
    No longer teaching in regular settings, I continue to be a learner — reading, writing, listening and enjoying a life that God has granted me.

Margaret Smith (the Braniff was added in 2005), from Buffalo, Wyoming

3. Even twenty+ years (and 75% of a PhD) later, I receive the course catalog in the mail each winter and ruminate about returning “just for fun and to study something ‘new.’” You just never know how much Bread Loaf will influence your life…I wouldn’t have had the base knowledge I did going into this PhD in contemporary American women playwrights without a summer of Michael Cadden and Carol MacVey. My English classrooms would never have been as dynamic without all of my Bread Loaf faculty. Who can resist the intellectual and intrinsic excitement of Isobel and Michael Armstrong, Dixie Goswami, Jimmy Britton, Nancy Martin, or Jim Moffett?!? Starting that MA as an undergraduate at Middlebury was

View More
    a gift for which I will be ever grateful and always be paying forward. I am a better scholar, teacher, and most importantly, person because of it.

View Less