Professor Pundits: Sorting Out Super Tuesday

Trying to draw conclusions from this year’s Super Tuesday voting is tricky business. The only certainty is that there’s still a long road ahead for the Republican primary candidates. Middlebury’s professor pundits Matt Dickinson and Bert Johnson are back with an update about what happened on Super Tuesday and what it might mean going forward.

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a comment »

1. re: Bert Johnson’s comments on the VT primary results: although this is merely anecdotal, I and two of my friends switched over to the republican party to skew the results in VT, voting for either Santorum or Paul. It was painful to see an “R” written next to my name on the register (in pencil, thankfully), but we want these jokers to continue with their circular firing squad.

2. Sooty – I’ve heard several anecdotes similar to yours. The difficulty, of course, is determining in more systematic fashion how much of Romney’s “poor” Vermont showing is due to Democrats making mischief of the type you describe, and more fundamental dissatisfaction among Republicans with Mitt’s candidacy in general. My guess – based partly on Bert’s observations but also on how Mitt has performed in other states among some Republican voters – is that it was dissatisfied Republican voters that primarily accounts for Mitt not clearing the 50% hurdle in Vermont. But I can’t be certain.