A Voice Heard ’Round the World

Junior Abigail Borah’s father heard a report on NPR last December about an American student interrupting the UN climate talks in South Africa. When he heard the announcer refer to “her” impassioned appeal for action—and her eviction—he knew it was his daughter. Abigail spoke for her fellow attendees from the youth climate movement against political dithering and delays in Durban. The meeting moderator retorted, “No one is listening to you,” but the world media was.

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a comment »

1. This is fantastic! Abigail, you did such a fine job standing up for all of us. Thank you!

2. Great job! Way to stand up for America’s REAL beliefs! Polar Bears deserve better.

3. I feel so proud to have such a strong representative from Middlebury who is able to articulate and speak up for those of us who want REAL change now. I look forward to hearing more about and from Abigail.

4. You go, Girl! Stand up for what you believe in and be heard! I am proud of you as a woman and a person of conviction.

5. Wow. I am so amazed by and proud of Abigail. Such a strong and true voice to speak not only for her generation but for all of us. Her integrity and courage are inspiring. And I’m not saying that just because she’s my goddaughter!

6. I agree with all the other commenters — you are doing a fantastic job of bringing attention to critical issues, and you are so impressive for a college student. You have the potential to become a highly successful public speaker who can influence positive changes in whatever field you choose. You are very articulate! Suggestion: Practice eliminating the “ums” after every period and comma in your speech.

7. That’s my Abigail,,,Grandma Bernie

8. Another contribution by a Middlebury student. I am always proud to know when students and graduates speak out. Joy KJluess, class of 1946, Daytona Beach, Florida.

9. I am always proud to hear that a Middlebury student speaks out about current issues.

10. I was tremendously moved when I saw/heard you speak out in South Africa. Thank you! I was listening to NPR daily for more information and completely frustrated that the US was not willing to join into the talks. We so need to begin. Your challenge was/is vital.

11. “Obstructionist Congress”…. we know where your politics lie. Obama had both the Senate and House for the first 2 years of his presidency and did nothing for climate.