Scenes from VIP Day

Team Midd had an extremely ambitious schedule on the eve of opening to the public. Thursday, Sept. 22, began with an opening ceremony for the 19 teams, who were seated by row in their color-coded team shirts. They spent the rest of the morning giving V.I.P. tours, which, for the Middlebury team, included Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Peter Welch from Vermont’s congressional delegation. At the same time, several of Middlebury’s team leaders were also prepping for the four jury presentations they were scheduled to deliver in the afternoon as the actual judging portion of the contest began.

Fans of Team Midd can vote online for Middlebury’s Self-Reliance in the Solar Decathlon People’s Choice award.

Leave a comment »

1. The Kimble family has been following your every move with interest–from planning to contruction to the big haul south. Thanks for keeping us up to date with the stories and videos.

2. I had the pleasure of visiting Middlebury as the Solar Decathletes began building the Self Reliance home back in April 2010. I was fortnuate to be contacted early on by Kris Williams, the Fund Raising Lead. I am a General Manager at Huber Engineered Woods. We dontated ZIP System structural sheathing and AdanTech subflooring for the build. ZIP System panels combined with our seam sealing tape is designed for energy efficient homes because it provides both an air and moisture barrier all in one product. I was so impressed with how passionate, mature, articulate and well organized Team Self Reliance was in their endeavor. In addition to Kris, I met Addison Godine (project

View More
    manager), Alex Jopek (construction lead), Katie Romanov (communication & outreach lead), Melake Getabecha and faculty leaders Andrea Kerz-Murray and Ashar Nelson to name a few. They all managed this initiative like a well run business. They integrating functional experts into a master work plan so all deadlines were met and goals were achieved. I had to remind myself they were liberal art majors and not engineers, building scientists or architects, even though they sounded like them. Note these were common majors for students from other solar decathlon teams. What impressed me most was visiting the Self Reliance home at the Washington Mall. The home was gorgeous! I left convinced that affordable, sustainable homes can be built by students (albeit extraordinary ones). Congratulations Team Self Reliance! One small step for Middlebury College, one giant step for liberal arts eduction!

View Less
  3. […] of a project that stretches my limits and is actually good for people and the planet; (2) like them, I am both giddy and geeky when I talk about our Passive House; (3) I need a boost of their energy […]