Tales from the Crypt

You’ve walked past it many times …on your way to a football game, perhaps, or to a performance at the Mahaney Center for the Arts.

It sits right on Route 30 adjacent to campus. And it’s the final resting place for some of the College’s most familiar names—Painter, Battell, Munroe, Stewart.

So come along. West Cemetery beckons. Jim Ralph ’82, Rehnquist Professor of American History and Culture, will be your guide.

The beautiful photos in the slide show were created with a pinhole camera by Mario Morgado. Click here for an audio slide show in which Mario explains his craft.

Leave a comment »

1. [...] here for an audio slideshow of “Tales from the Crypt,” narrated by history Rehnquist Professor of American History [...]

2. Well done Mario. That was a nostalgic wander for me. Thank you.

3. Very interesting slideshow! I’d like to get in touch with Jim Ralph as I have a lot of info on the West Cemetery he might be interested in. I don’t have access to Middlebury’s Webmail nor his email address. Please email me his address or how I can contact him.

Thanks!

Jim

4. What- no mention of the mummy buried there?? I did see a photograph of the stone, but no mention. It was a very nice presentation, though, and brought me back to my days exploring the cemetery.

Thanks,
    Dan

5. Glad that the College is highlighting this part of its history which often goes unnoticed. As a member of our town’s (Norwich) Cemetery Commission there is so much that goes unnoticed in terms of the social history of the town that is revealed in the names and shape of the nine cemeteries that are in the town.