Honoring Elder

As many folks already know, John Elder is retiring after a storied tenure at Middlebury College. Students have eloquently offered their tributes; the local alt-weekly, Seven Days, has published a wonderful profile; and all this week (and into this weekend), the College has been honoring John’s life and work.

Middlebury Magazine is pleased to offer this slideshow from two of John’s former students, Alexander Manshel ’09 and Angela Evancie ’09 (photography).

Leave a comment »

1. John Elder is one of the best professors I have ever had! I loved his Nature Writing course and his great advice about applying for a Watson Fellowship. He will be missed on the Middlebury Campus.

2. I had the great fortune of having Prof. Elder for my “required” freshman writing course. If only all of life’s requirements would render such immediate and lasting benefit! The class became a highlight of my years at Midd. My thanks to John Elder for being a wonderful teacher as I started my college journey.

3. […] of Environmentalism Angela Evancie’s (’09.5) name must be familiar by now. From honoring John Elder to photographing West Virginia coal mines to her project to photograph the school’s dining […]