Control? Pesticide? Nah. Being this late in the year, the leaves are beginning their shutdown/fall off routine, aren’t providing much in the way of food for the tree anymore, so if some fall or get eaten prematurally, I don’t sweat it. I’ve always heard an organic control is to take a stick and tear apart the web, exposing the caterpillars to passing birds for a quick take-out meal, but I’ve never seen a bird indulge. Maybe someone (not me) that knows birds could shed some light here.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 41.5F, Light Drizzle - 7:19 AM EDT Oct. 24Temperature: 41.5°F | Humidity: 97% | Pressure: 29.83in (Rising) | Conditions: Light Drizzle | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 14.0mph
- Friday Night as of Oct. 24 5:00 AM EDTFriday Night - Partly cloudy. Low of 39F. Winds less than 5 mph.
- Friday as of Oct. 24 5:00 AM EDTFriday - Overcast with a chance of rain in the morning, then mostly cloudy. High of 52F. Winds from the NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
- Saturday as of Oct. 24 5:00 AM EDTSaturday - Partly cloudy with a chance of rain. High of 59F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
- Current Conditions : 41.5F, Light Drizzle - 7:19 AM EDT Oct. 24