Control? Pesticide? Nah. Being this late in the year, the leaves are beginning their shutdown/fall off routine, aren’t providing much in the way of food for the tree anymore, so if some fall or get eaten prematurally, I don’t sweat it. I’ve always heard an organic control is to take a stick and tear apart the web, exposing the caterpillars to passing birds for a quick take-out meal, but I’ve never seen a bird indulge. Maybe someone (not me) that knows birds could shed some light here.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 33.9F, Light Rain - 12:01 AM EST Dec. 18Temperature: 33.9°F | Humidity: 96% | Pressure: 29.75in (Rising) | Conditions: Light Rain | Wind Direction: SSE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph
- Thursday Night as of Dec. 17 10:00 PM ESTThursday Night - Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Low of 25F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
- Thursday as of Dec. 17 10:00 PM ESTThursday - Overcast with a chance of snow and a chance of rain in the morning, then mostly cloudy with a chance of snow and a chance of rain. High of 36F with a windchill as low as 25F. Winds from the NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 50%.
- Friday as of Dec. 17 10:00 PM ESTFriday - Partly cloudy. High of 28F with a windchill as low as 18F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Current Conditions : 33.9F, Light Rain - 12:01 AM EST Dec. 18