Control? Pesticide? Nah. Being this late in the year, the leaves are beginning their shutdown/fall off routine, aren’t providing much in the way of food for the tree anymore, so if some fall or get eaten prematurally, I don’t sweat it. I’ve always heard an organic control is to take a stick and tear apart the web, exposing the caterpillars to passing birds for a quick take-out meal, but I’ve never seen a bird indulge. Maybe someone (not me) that knows birds could shed some light here.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 74.3F, Clear - 12:52 PM EDT Aug. 29Temperature: 74.3°F | Humidity: 59% | Pressure: 30.16in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 5.0mph
- Saturday Night as of Aug. 29 11:19 AM EDTSaturday Night - Cloudy early with some clearing expected late. Low near 60F. Winds light and variable.
- Saturday as of Aug. 29 11:19 AM EDTSaturday - Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 81F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
- Sunday as of Aug. 29 11:19 AM EDTSunday - Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. High 84F. Winds light and variable.
- Current Conditions : 74.3F, Clear - 12:52 PM EDT Aug. 29