Control? Pesticide? Nah. Being this late in the year, the leaves are beginning their shutdown/fall off routine, aren’t providing much in the way of food for the tree anymore, so if some fall or get eaten prematurally, I don’t sweat it. I’ve always heard an organic control is to take a stick and tear apart the web, exposing the caterpillars to passing birds for a quick take-out meal, but I’ve never seen a bird indulge. Maybe someone (not me) that knows birds could shed some light here.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 68.1F, Clear - 4:12 PM EDT Sep. 17Temperature: 68.1°F | Humidity: 47% | Pressure: 29.94in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 1.0mph
- Freeze Watch - Expires: 8:00 AM EDTFreeze Watch for Addison County in effect until 8:00 AM EDT on September 19, 2014
- Wednesday as of Sep. 17 11:00 AM EDTWednesday - Partly cloudy. Fog early. High of 68F. Winds less than 5 mph.
- Thursday as of Sep. 17 11:00 AM EDTThursday - Partly cloudy with a chance of rain. High of 59F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
- Wednesday Night as of Sep. 17 11:00 AM EDTWednesday Night - Partly cloudy with a chance of rain after midnight. Low of 45F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
- Current Conditions : 68.1F, Clear - 4:12 PM EDT Sep. 17