Control? Pesticide? Nah. Being this late in the year, the leaves are beginning their shutdown/fall off routine, aren’t providing much in the way of food for the tree anymore, so if some fall or get eaten prematurally, I don’t sweat it. I’ve always heard an organic control is to take a stick and tear apart the web, exposing the caterpillars to passing birds for a quick take-out meal, but I’ve never seen a bird indulge. Maybe someone (not me) that knows birds could shed some light here.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 58.3F, Clear - 5:00 AM EDT May. 5Temperature: 58.3°F | Humidity: 83% | Pressure: 30.15in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 3.0mph
- Tuesday Night as of May. 5 2:16 AM EDTTuesday Night - Partly cloudy skies. Low near 40F. Winds light and variable.
- Tuesday as of May. 5 2:16 AM EDTTuesday - Mostly cloudy skies early, then partly cloudy in the afternoon. High 66F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.
- Wednesday as of May. 5 2:16 AM EDTWednesday - Partly cloudy skies. High 71F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.
- Current Conditions : 58.3F, Clear - 5:00 AM EDT May. 5