Control? Pesticide? Nah. Being this late in the year, the leaves are beginning their shutdown/fall off routine, aren’t providing much in the way of food for the tree anymore, so if some fall or get eaten prematurally, I don’t sweat it. I’ve always heard an organic control is to take a stick and tear apart the web, exposing the caterpillars to passing birds for a quick take-out meal, but I’ve never seen a bird indulge. Maybe someone (not me) that knows birds could shed some light here.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 55.7F, Clear - 7:15 AM EDT May. 24Temperature: 55.7°F | Humidity: 50% | Pressure: 30.22in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SSE | Wind Speed: 5.0mph
- Special Statement - Expires: 6:00 PM EDTSpecial Statement for Addison County in effect until 6:00 PM EDT on May 24, 2015
- Sunday as of May. 24 5:22 AM EDTSunday - Mostly sunny. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 82F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
- Monday as of May. 24 5:22 AM EDTMonday - Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Thunder possible. High near 70F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
- Sunday Night as of May. 24 5:22 AM EDTSunday Night - A few clouds. Low 57F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
- Current Conditions : 55.7F, Clear - 7:15 AM EDT May. 24