These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 79.0F, Clear - 2:25 PM EDT May. 29Temperature: 79.0°F | Humidity: 45% | Pressure: 30.25in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 4.0mph
- Friday Night as of May. 29 11:24 AM EDTFriday Night - Partly cloudy skies. Low 64F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
- Friday as of May. 29 11:24 AM EDTFriday - A mix of clouds and sun. High 83F. Winds light and variable.
- Saturday as of May. 29 11:24 AM EDTSaturday - Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours. Thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 86F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
- Current Conditions : 79.0F, Clear - 2:25 PM EDT May. 29