These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 37.6F, Overcast - 9:26 PM EST Nov. 22Temperature: 37.6°F | Humidity: 54% | Pressure: 30.00in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: SSE | Wind Speed: 8.0mph
- Saturday Night as of Nov. 22 4:00 PM ESTSaturday Night - Overcast with a chance of rain. Low of 36F with a windchill as low as 28F. Winds from the South at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
- Saturday as of Nov. 22 4:00 PM ESTSaturday - Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast with a chance of rain. High of 37F with a windchill as low as 12F. Breezy. Winds from the South at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
- Sunday as of Nov. 22 4:00 PM ESTSunday - Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. High of 48F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
- Current Conditions : 37.6F, Overcast - 9:26 PM EST Nov. 22