These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 29.0F, Overcast - 12:04 AM EST Dec. 19Temperature: 29.0°F | Humidity: 82% | Pressure: 29.91in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 4.0mph
- Saturday as of Dec. 18 10:00 PM ESTSaturday - Partly cloudy. Fog early. High of 28F. Winds less than 5 mph.
- Friday as of Dec. 18 10:00 PM ESTFriday - Mostly cloudy. High of 28F with a windchill as low as 14F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Friday Night as of Dec. 18 10:00 PM ESTFriday Night - Partly cloudy. Low of 12F. Winds less than 5 mph.
- Special Statement - Expires: 5:00 AM ESTSpecial Statement for Addison County in effect until 5:00 AM EST on December 19, 2014
- Current Conditions : 29.0F, Overcast - 12:04 AM EST Dec. 19