These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 34.7F, Overcast - 4:05 AM EDT Apr. 25Temperature: 34.7°F | Humidity: 67% | Pressure: 29.82in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 4.0mph
- Saturday Night as of Apr. 25 12:08 AM EDTSaturday Night - Mostly cloudy skies early will become partly cloudy late. Low around 35F. Winds light and variable.
- Saturday as of Apr. 25 12:08 AM EDTSaturday - Overcast. High 52F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Sunday as of Apr. 25 12:08 AM EDTSunday - Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High around 55F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
- Current Conditions : 34.7F, Overcast - 4:05 AM EDT Apr. 25