These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 29.7F, Overcast - 1:06 AM EST Nov. 25Temperature: 29.7°F | Humidity: 88% | Pressure: 30.54in ( Falling) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 0.0mph
- Wednesday as of Nov. 25 12:24 AM ESTWednesday - Partly sunny in the morning...then clearing. Highs around 40. Light and variable winds...becoming south around 10 mph in the afternoon.
- Rest of Tonight as of Nov. 25 12:24 AM ESTRest of Tonight - Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s. Light and variable winds.
- Wednesday Night as of Nov. 25 12:24 AM ESTWednesday Night - Clear. Lows in the lower 30s. South winds around 10 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph after midnight.
- Current Conditions : 29.7F, Overcast - 1:06 AM EST Nov. 25