These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 25.5F, Clear - 5:27 PM EST Dec. 10Temperature: 25.5°F | Humidity: 48% | Pressure: 29.85in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 6.0mph
- Tuesday Night as of Dec. 10 4:00 PM ESTTuesday Night - Partly cloudy with a chance of snow. Low of 19F with a windchill as low as 10F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
- Tuesday as of Dec. 10 4:00 PM ESTTuesday - Overcast with a chance of snow. High of 30F with a windchill as low as 21F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
- Wednesday as of Dec. 10 4:00 PM ESTWednesday - Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. High of 28F with a windchill as low as 10F. Winds from the SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
- Current Conditions : 25.5F, Clear - 5:27 PM EST Dec. 10