These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 30.6F, Scattered Clouds - 12:12 PM EDT Apr. 16Temperature: 30.6°F | Humidity: 61% | Pressure: 30.39in (Rising) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: NW | Wind Speed: 5.0mph
- Thursday as of Apr. 16 11:00 AM EDTThursday - Clear. High of 54F. Breezy. Winds from the SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
- Wednesday as of Apr. 16 11:00 AM EDTWednesday - Clear. High of 43F. Breezy. Winds from the NNW at 10 to 20 mph.
- Wednesday Night as of Apr. 16 11:00 AM EDTWednesday Night - Clear. Low of 25F. Winds less than 5 mph.
- Flood Warning - Expires: 6:58 AM EDTFlood Warning for Addison County in effect until 6:58 AM EDT on April 17, 2014
- Areal Flood Watch - Expires: 8:00 PM EDTAreal Flood Watch for Addison County in effect until 8:00 PM EDT on April 16, 2014
- Current Conditions : 30.6F, Scattered Clouds - 12:12 PM EDT Apr. 16