These trees are also a good lesson in topping, a terrible thing to do to a tree. Well before my time, some of the trees near the FIC parking lot were deemed to be “too tall”, so they were topped, or reduced in height by chopping the top off of the tree. That has caused those trees to sucker profusely, and have hence become a maintenance nightmare. Contrast that with a great, unpruned speciman, the pear near the east door of Bicentennial Hall. This is at maximum height, about 25 feet (ironically only about 10 feet higher than where it was topped), and does not sucker, so it hardly needs pruning at all.
Middland on TwitterMy Tweets
TagsArbor Day BFR Campus community campus wildlife CAPP Commencement drought ecology Emerald Ash Borer Emma Willard Facilities fall color flooding flowers geology GIS iTree job seeker Landscape landscape history McCullough native Outdoor Art Plant Pathology poem renga resume Reunion rocks snow snow removal storm report Tree Campus tree planting tree removal Trees twitter vandalism watering Weather weather station winter carnival winter term
- Current Conditions : 43.4F, Mostly Cloudy - 5:50 AM EDT Oct. 7Temperature: 43.4°F | Humidity: 95% | Pressure: 29.95in (Rising) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 1.0mph
- Tonight as of Oct. 7 3:11 AM EDTTonight - Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers until midnight...then clear after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. Light and variable winds. Chance of rain 20 percent.
- Today as of Oct. 7 3:11 AM EDTToday - Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds...becoming northwest around 10 mph this afternoon.
- Thursday as of Oct. 7 3:11 AM EDTThursday - Sunny. Highs in the upper 50s. Light and variable winds.
- Current Conditions : 43.4F, Mostly Cloudy - 5:50 AM EDT Oct. 7