Student Org Profile: NOM

Nutrition Outreach and Mentoring is a student organization at Middlebury College with the goal of creating community and connecting people through food and food education. NOM organizes volunteering events and classes with the purpose of introducing students to local, fresh, in-season produce following the Vermont Harvest of the Month curriculum. The aims of this initiative is to establish healthy eating and cooking habits and to raise awareness about nutrition and current food issues.

Since my first few weeks at Middlebury I have been a part of the NOM community. Over the past academic two years, I have worked as a NOM volunteer, and as of the beginning of this year, I began serving on the NOM board as treasurer. NOM has been a unique outlet for me as it melds my passions for nutrition, food studies and environmental studies with my passion for working with young children. Additionally, I have enjoyed volunteering for NOM as I have been exposed to different dimensions of the local community; I have volunteered at Mary Johnson Childcare Center, Mary Hogan Elementary and the Bridge School. These volunteer experiences have allowed me to share my passion for local, healthy food with the children, and empower the children to share the “Vermont Harvest of the Month” foods and healthy recipes with their friends and families.

-Caroline Wolfe ’19