The Washington Office on Latin America promotes human rights, democracy and social and economic justice in Latin America and the Caribbean. WOLA facilitates dialogue between governmental and non-governmental actors, monitors the impact of policies and programs of governments and international organizations, and promotes alternatives through reporting, education, training and advocacy. Founded in 1974 by a coalition of civic and religious leaders, WOLA works closely with civil society organizations and government officials throughout the Americas.
The Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA) seeks an entry-level administrative staff person to work with program staff. The Program Assistant provides administrative support to Associates and Senior Associates within a fast-paced human rights organization working in Washington and Latin America. The position/contract is for two years, subject to an evaluation at the end of the first three months, and brings a committed individual into contact with the human rights, religious and foreign policy communities in Washington and Latin America. WOLA’s Washington office has a paid staff of 15, plus seven interns and five fellows.
- Draft correspondence; edit and format documents.
- Assist with publication and distribution of reports, memos, press work, and other materials.
- Coordinate and organize public events, conferences and delegations.
- Maintain contact with U.S. and Latin American NGOs, attend coalition meetings, and accompany Latin American delegations while in Washington.
- Monitor relevant congressional hearings and legislation.
- Manage one or more interns in coordination with the Intern Coordinator.
- Maintain and update website content.
- Coordinate travel, meetings and scheduling for Associates.
- Other duties, including research assistance, will be assigned depending on the Associates’ needs and Assistant’s abilities.
- A demonstrated commitment to human rights, democracy, and social in Latin America.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Bachelors degree required. As this is an entry-level position, applicants with Masters degrees will not be considered.
- Spanish fluency required. Written translation experience highly desired.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, follow-through, and attention to detail.
- Experience working or living in Latin America preferred.
- Human rights, political advocacy and/or Capitol Hill experience highly desired.
- Computer maintenance and IT trouble-shooting skills a plus.
- High level of initiative as well as the ability to work in a team.
- Flexibility; ability to work in a small, fast-paced, dynamic environment with frequent international visitors.
- Word processing and some office experience required. Knowledge of Word required. Knowledge of desktop publishing, database management and website maintenance a plus.
SALARY: $33,000, full health, dental, vision and life insurance, three weeks annual vacation.
TIME COMMITMENT: Two year contract, subject to a favorable evaluation after the first three months.
TO APPLY: See the original posting at http://www.justmeans.com/jobs/washington-office-on-latin-america/12894.html for application information