The Job: Regional Managing Educator – Los Angeles
What we need: A dynamic, science-minded, education-driven performer to deliver our multimedia presentations on climate change to high school students in Greater Los Angeles. (Check out our trailer to get a taste of our presentation.) You’ll be in the trenches with high school students, communicating the essential science of climate change in a lively, fun and unforgettable way. After each presentation you’ll be working with youth to create ACE Action Teams that work on a variety of climate change projects, from starting recycling projects to solarizing their school. We also need a power-networker to build partnerships with schools, nonprofits, celebrities and companies.
You’ll work from home and remotely with a local team, with occasional meetings with our other regions.
The Organization: ACE :: Alliance for Climate Education ACE is a national nonprofit dedicated to educating America’s high school students about the science behind climate change and inspiring them to do something about it—while having fun along the way. We’re based in Oakland, CA, with satellite offices in Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Washington D.C., New York, Providence, and Boston
ACE offers a powerful mission, a spirit of innovation and a fast-paced environment that focuses on accountability and results. Learn more about ACE – and check out our rave reviews at http://www.acespace.org
Roles and Responsibilities:
As Regional Managing Educator you will be responsible for managing a team of 2-3 educators, building partnerships with schools and likeminded Southern California nonprofits, ensuring ACE follow-up programs are implemented effectively and supporting the branding of our Southern California regional program. We are seeking a strong manager that can support the development and progression of our Southern California Team and effectively manage and multitask. Educator responsibilities include but are not limited to: scheduling assemblies, ensuring effective implementation and delivery of presentation, mentoring High School teams, developing and nurturing partnerships, maintaining communication with headquarters, and coordinating PR efforts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills—dynamic, engaging personality
- 2-3 years of experience managing other team members
- Ability to develop cogent work plans, manage and prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Solid understanding of global climate change science and the youth environmental movement
- Ability to manage a variety of team members and projects
- Ability to maintain clear and constant communication while working from a home office
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking, and motivational skills
- Comfortable taking a leadership role in a small collaborative team environment
- Takes pleasure in enabling and supporting others to be effective in their work
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Calendar, Documents, and Spreadsheets
- Teaching experience or other experience working with high school age students
- Familiarity with the LA area school systems and local NGO community
- Experience in theatre or other forms of public performance
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Proficiency in Spanish language
- Public relations experience
- Working knowledge of Salesforce.com
Schedule: Full-time position, 40 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Los Angeles, CA
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Ms. Sam McKelvie: sam.mckelvie(at)climateeducation.org.
Please include salary requirements in your cover letter. No phone calls please.
We value and respect the diverse viewpoints and individual differences of all people. ACE is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone interested to apply.