It was announced last fall that the Music Library will be moving from the Mahaney Center for the Arts into Davis Family Library as soon as the semester ends in May. (For more details see http://sites.middlebury.edu/acrosscampus/2010/11/08/music-library-to-davis ) There’s a lot of preparation already under way and continuing in the coming weeks, and some of it may be noticeable to those working and studying in Davis Family Library.
The print collections from the Music Library will be placed on the upper level adjacent to the Panther Reading Room, overlooking Old Chapel. The CD collection will be placed behind the Circulation Desk. In order to make room for these collections in Davis, we’re adding a section of compact shelving in the SE corner of the lower level and shifting collections within the library.
A moving company will be arriving on Monday, March 14th to shift collections in the stacks and empty the shelves where the new shelving units are being installed. On Thursday, March 24th a library shelving company will arrive, dismantle the fixed shelving, and then proceed with the installation of the compact shelving on the lower level. Some of this work will be very noisy, but we have timed the worst of it to take place during Spring Break. Once the shelving is installed, the moving company will return on Monday, April 24th and continue shifting the collections. The moving crews are accustomed to working in libraries where people are studying and will do their best to minimize the disruption; however there may be times when activity and noise is distracting. Unfortunately, because we must be moved out of the CFA by June 1st, working during the semester is unavoidable. The crews will routinely be working during the day, Mon-Fri, although there are a few times they’ll be working during the day on the weekend. You should be able to count on the library being quiet after 5pm, and we have avoided having the movers here at all during exams. Generally speaking, only those nearby the collections being shifted will notice the activity, and there will still be plenty of quiet study space available in the library. Remember that the Music Library in the Mahaney Center for the Arts, The Armstrong Library in McCardell Bicentennial Hall, and the Axinn Center all have quiet study areas too.
If you need a book in an area where the movers are actively working, place a request at the Circulation Desk in person or by emailing email@example.com and it will be retrieved and held for you to pick up at the desk.
Both Facilities Services and Library & Information Services regret any inconvenience these projects may cause those studying in the library, and we thank you in advance for your patience with us, and your tolerance of any potential disruption.
Below please see an overview of the schedule.
Joseph Watson,Preservation & Processing Manger, LIS Facilities Coor.
Monday, March 14th: moving crew arrives -
- Backshift bound Periodicals
- Move PT2623-Z into vacated compact shelving for temporary storage
- Shifts G & H books on the upper level to make room for GV class books from CFA
- Shift Oversize Collection to make room for GV oversize
- Shift Reference Collection to compact
- Move VHS collection to vacated compact shelving east of Government Documents
Thursday, March 24th: shelving installer arrives –
- Knock down vacated fixed shelving in SE corner of lower level, staging components in the Harman Periodicals Reading Area
- Install new compact shelving section in the SE corner of the lower level. This is expected to take about 25 days.
Monday, April 24th: moving company returns and continues collection shifts –
- Move Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese collections to new compact shelving
- Shift Vermont Collection
- Shift lower level monographs
- Shift main level monographs
(Scheduled to complete this portion of work Tuesday, May 3rd)
On Wednesday, May 18th: moving company returns to complete the collections shifts and move Music Library –
- Adjust shelving on main level to accept N class books and move N class books from upper level to main level
- Adjust the shelving on the upper level to accept music print collections
- Move Music Library from Mahaney to Davis.