Application deadline January 31st.
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a not-for-profit corporation that operates three Federally Funded Research Centers (FFRDCs). IDA’s Systems and Analyses Center is located in Alexandria, Virginia and is comprised of eight research divisions providing objective analyses of national security issues, particularly those requiring scientific and technical expertise, and conducts related research on other national challenges.
The IDA Data Science Fellowship provides recent graduates a unique opportunity to develop and apply data science skills to important issues in national security. Data Science Fellows will investigate the ways newly available ‘big data’ methodologies contribute to national security and gain experience developing advanced data science tools. They will use their critical thinking and analytic skills to work on challenging real-world national security issues. In a collaborative team environment, perform data manipulation and statistical, econometric, predictive, descriptive, and other quantitative analyses to answer national security-related research questions. Fellows should expect to learn while creatively contributing to interdisciplinary project teams.
- Appraisal of current DoD investments in a broad range of areas: from human factors to autonomous systems, from materials science to nuclear weapons effects, from social behaviors to quantum computing;
- Analyze and research questions on DoD personnel, military readiness and efficacy, and organizational efficiency topics;
- Assessment of federal agency information and computing architectures that support data science applications (i.e., large, distributed data sets and computational assets);
- Application of data exploration, text analytics, forecasting, statistical inference, simulation to areas of military personnel, manpower, and acquisition of DOD weapon systems.
- Involvement in workshops and discussions on relevant topics
- Mentorship from members of the IDA research staff
- Training on specific analytical methods and tools
- Attendance and presentation at select professional society meetings