Tags » Flex


Deadline to Submit Flex Spending Claims for 2011 is March 15

Categories: Midd Blogosphere

Do you still have money left in your FSA account? If so, time is running out! There are only a few days left to submit claims! 

2011 Flexible Spending Account Participants have until March 15, 2012, to submit claims for services provided in the calendar year 2011. All claims should be sent to CBA Blue via:

  • Fax at 888.291.0920
  • Mail to:
    CBA Blue
    P.O. Box 2365
    South Burlington, VT 05407-2365

Claim forms can be found in the HR office or http://go.middlebury.edu/flex

Per IRS Regulations, all remaining balances after March 15 will be forfeited. Don’t let this happen to you!

Please call HR at 443-5465 if you have questions about Flexible Spending Accounts.

Reminder to 2011 Flexible Spending Account Participants

Categories: Midd Blogosphere

You have until March 15, 2012 to submit claims for services provided in the calendar year 2011. All claims should be sent to CBA Blue via:

Fax: 888.291.0920

Mail: CBA Blue, PO Box 2365, S. Burlington, VT 05407-2365

Claim forms can be found in the HR office or at http://go.middlebury.edu/flex.  Please call the Human Resources office at 443-5465 if you have any questions about Flexible Spending Accounts.

Important Benefits Reminders

Categories: Midd Blogosphere

Trouble-free employee benefit plan administration requires a strong partnership between employees and Human Resources. The Human Resources Department works diligently at the end of each year to process accurately the thousands of required or requested benefit record changes, and then we check and double-check our work.

However, in the end, we also must rely on you, the employee, to do your part in managing your benefits by confirming that you are enrolled in the benefits you intended to elect. Please carefully review your first paycheck and let us know if you have questions or if anything seems amiss.

Medical/Dental Insurance

  • If you made a change to who is covered under your medical or dental plan, new ID cards were mailed to you in the last week of December.  Please confirm that you have received your new ID card(s) if you made a change to who is covered under your medical or dental plan.  If you need additional cards (for example, for a child away at college) call the toll free customer service number on your ID card (1-888-222-9206).
  • As was announced in November, the employee portion of the medical & dental premiums did not increase for 2012. However, any employee who made coverage (single/2 person/family) level changes should see a premium change in the first paycheck of 2012.

Vision Insurance

Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance

  • AD&D rate increase should be reflected in the first paycheck in 2012.  Also, premiums related to an increase in Life insurance up to the guarantee issue amount, reductions in Life coverage, or age-band changes (5 year increments) should be reflected in the first paycheck in 2012. If you made changes or will hit a new age band in 2012, please confirm that your premium changed.
  • Requests for new Life coverage or for increases in Life coverage over the guarantee issue amount are not effective until approved by Mutual of Omaha. An Evidence of Insurability form must be submitted to Mutual of Omaha if you have requested this type of change. Mutual of Omaha will notify you directly of approval or denial. Any premium changes will be made as of the effective date of the approved coverage.

Flexible Spending Accounts

  • 2012 elections for the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts should be reflected in the first paycheck of 2012.  Please review your pay stub and confirm that your contribution is correct (divide your total annual election by 26 to calculate your per pay-period election.)
  • If you are a new Flexible Spending Account plan participant (you were not enrolled in a FSA last year) then FSA Benefits Cards were mailed to your home address in mid-December. If you had a FSA last year you will not be issued a new card as they are valid for 3 years.   The Benefits Card can be used to access funds in your Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account. Important information about the FSA Benefits Card is available at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex.
  •  You have until March 15, 2012 to file claims against your 2011 flexible spending accounts for expenses incurred in 2011.  The FSA Claim form and other helpful information on Flexible Spending Accounts can be found at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex. Please visit CBA Blue’s website at http://select.cbabluevt.com/middlebury/ to review your account information.


  • If you submitted forms prior to the holiday break requesting changes to your Voluntary Retirement Plan or to enroll in the 457b Salary Deferral Supplemental Retirement Plan, your new elections should have been reflected in your first paycheck of 2012. If you requested changes please confirm that your elections are as expected.

If you have made a change to who is covered on your medical or dental plan and you have not received your new ID card(s), or if a benefit deduction doesn’t look right to you, or if you have any other questions or concerns about you benefits, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible. Thanks for doing your part to keep our benefit plans running smoothly!

Your Benefits Team,

- Lisa Hoff, Benefits Specialist (Health/Dental/Vision/Flex Spending) x3372
Loretta Lee, Benefits Specialist (Retirement Plans & Retiree Medical/Dental) x5468
Cheryl Mullins, Benefits & Compensation Manager x5542

Save the Date: Benefits Open Enrollment November 1-14

Categories: Midd Blogosphere

Benefits open enrollment is being conducted electronically again this year.  HR has again worked with LIS to improve and enhance the electronic open enrollment process from last year. You will be receiving an e-mail detailing our 2011 benefits as well as step-by-step instructions on how to enroll using BannerWeb. Human Resources will gladly help you through the process; if you have questions please call ext. 5465.

Flexible Spending Accounts: It’s not too early to start calculating your 2012 annual election. If you will have large medical expenses next year (orthodontist work, laser eye surgery, etc.) you should make sure you know how much your out of pocket cost will be for these services before Open Enrollment starts. For additional information on Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Planning Worksheet visit http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex.

All benefits eligible Faculty and Staff are required to complete Open Enrollment between November 1-14.