Does your college-owned Mac have the latest and greatest version of the Self Service application? It’s easy to tell… just launch Self Service located in the Utilities folder. If you see the Middlebury logo in a dark blue band across the top — you’ve got the new version which offers not only our latest installers, but also access to many installers from off-campus.
If you don’t have the updated version, you’ll only see one featured piece of software to install — the new Self Service utility. We encourage you to install this update as soon as possible so you’ll be able to install updated software, printers, and drivers when you need them. Here’s how to proceed:
Important! If your computer is running macOS 10.9 or older, please update the OS to 10.12 (or newer) before attempting to update Self Service. 10.12 (“Sierra”) is available in the old Self Service to computers that are eligible.
- The Mac needs to be connected to Ethernet on the Middlebury campus network to update Self Service.
- Open Self Service, then look for ”’JAMF Cloud”’. This is a “featured” install, so it should appear on the main screen.
- Read the installation instructions before proceeding.
- When the installation has completed it may report a ”’failure”’ — this is normal — just close then re-open Self Service.
- There should be a visual difference (as well as a new version number) to Self Service. You are done – except…
- for macOS 10.13.2 or higher, re-opening Self Service will prompt you to ”’Approve”’ the MDM profile in System Preferences. Please follow the link then click the ”’Approve”’ button. This helps enable various security & conveniences for your computer, including pre-approval of third-party kernel extensions for common software (ex. Sophos or Google Drive File Stream).
Did you know that Middlebury College offers self-paced learning 24/7? Our fabulous online learning resource, lynda.com, uses short videos to help you acquire new business and technology skills and is available to all academic year faculty, staff, and students, both here and at Monterey.
Interested? Drop by the Open House at Davis Family Library on Thursday, Oct. 4 from 3-5:00 pm and check it out first-hand. Too excited to wait that long? Visit http://go/lyndainfo/ and get started right now!
For more details about other learning opportunities, visit http://go/itslearn/.
Do you have any new staff members joining your team in the coming months? Information Technology Services (ITS) offers a monthly workshop with new hires in mind called “ITS & You: Technology Services Overview.”
We introduce services and resources provided by ITS to all Middlebury campus employees, including: email, file storage, account security, online learning, and how to obtain computing help. The workshop format is presentation-style with questions entertained along the way, followed by an optional half hour for hands-on assistance with specific questions. Our complete workshop schedule can be viewed at http://go/techworkshops/.
Although geared toward new or recent hires, everyone is welcome to attend — with the ever-changing world of technology, even not-so-new staff might surprise themselves with an “aha” moment or two. Please ask employees to sign up using our online form, or you can complete the form on their behalf.
Information Technology Services (ITS) now offers a monthly workshop with recent hires in mind called “ITS & You: Technology Services Overview.” The next session will be held Wednesday, January 17 at 9 a.m. We’ll introduce services and resources provided by ITS to all Middlebury College employees, including: email, file storage, account security, online learning, and how to obtain computing help. The workshop format will be a presentation with questions entertained along the way, followed by an optional half hour for hands-on assistance with specific questions.
To sign up, please use our online form. Although geared toward new or recent hires, everyone is welcome to attend – you might surprise yourself with an “aha” moment or two.
As always, our complete workshop schedule can be view at http://go/techworkshops/.
Apple recently released a new iOS version for use on iPads and iPhones, iOS 11. You may experience difficulty connecting to Middlebury College email hosted by Microsoft when using the native iOS Mail and Calendar Apps. ITS recommends you use Outlook for iOS available free in the App Store. Apple and Microsoft are working on a solution.
Apple also announced the next version of macOS, High Sierra, available 9/25/17. ITS has instituted a block on the installation of this OS on college managed computers until it can be tested with college systems and software. Our High Sierra webpage (http://go.middlebury.edu/highsierra) will provide updates as they become available, including notes about any known issues and resolutions.
The following information is important only for individuals having a Key Survey account used to create, distribute, and work with surveys and response data.
WorldAPP (our Key Survey host) is excited to announce that your Key Survey / Form.com account will be upgraded to the new software version 8.6. on Saturday, November 22nd, 2014, between the hours of:
EST: 1 AM and 10 AM / GMT: 6 AM and 3 PM
Loaded with variety of new features, this latest software update introduces many of the advanced task management and workflow capabilities that you, our customers, have asked us for.
Please note that your account may be unavailable during the system upgrade. Your respondents attempting to access surveys, forms or reports will receive a friendly notification of the system maintenance in progress. Once the maintenance has been completed, the application and all survey/form/report links will be accessible.
To learn more about version 8.6 software release ahead of time, visit the Fall ’14 Release Promo page.
If you have any questions about this update please feel free to contact email@example.com.
The following information is pertinent only for individuals having a Key Survey account used to create, distribute, and work with surveys and response data.
Message text (excerpt) from WorldAPP’s Customer Care team, dated 10/21/14:
New updates for Form.com Mobile v4.0 and Key Survey Mobile v4.0 are now available for download.
What’s New: This latest software update provides enhanced ability to capture data from your mobile device while offline and offers improved data synchronization technology with a faster automatic data upload frequency rate when online – now, every 5 minutes.
Before downloading the update, please be informed that:
• Legacy versions of the Form.com Mobile and Key Survey Mobile apps will continue to operate, however, we highly recommend installing the latest update to receive the best possible performance.
• We advise performing a final synchronization request to ensure all data is uploaded to the server. Failure to do this could result in data loss.
• If you are still working from the WorldAPP Offline branded mobile app, it is recommended that you install the new mobile app (Form.com Mobile for Form.com accounts, Key Survey Mobile for Key Survey accounts), as WorldAPP Offline will no longer be supported. Follow these 4 simple steps for a smooth transition to the new app.
As always, WorldAPP’s support staff can assist with questions you may have.