Oratory Now is a student-centered initiative to reinvent the way oral expression is taught, practiced, and recognized at Middlebury College. Taking place both inside and outside the classroom, the multifaceted program consists of experienced peer tutors who help students develop their public-speaking skills—ultimately helping to shape a college-wide oratory program.
The internship does not require any prior public speaking ability, though there will be opportunities to develop public speaking skills if the intern so chooses.
This internship will give a Middlebury student the opportunity to explore a range of professional skill building that could include event production, promotion and management, advertising/PR/marketing, video and assessment analytics, coach-training curriculum development and more. The Oratory Now Winter Term Intern will work on-campus and assignments may include a combination of the following:
- Planning and managing the Commons Championship speaking competitions with 5-10 nominated contestants in each of the 5 Commons: Atwater, Brainerd, Wonnacott, Cook and Ross
- Coordination with residence hall staff to confirm space, equipment, food and beverage, etc
- Raise awareness of events through social media, postering and other creative strategies
- Contribute to the continued development of the Oratory Now coach training curriculum through analysis of videos, self-assessment results and other metrics
- Raise general awareness of Oratory Now programs and services among Students, Faculty and the greater campus community through ad hoc projects that leverage and develop the intern’s personal interests and professional skills
For a full list of qualifications, as well as additional details on the internship description, click here. Application deadline: Wednesday, November 15th (apply in Handshake).