This Sunday morning the following network and system maintenance items are scheduled during our regular maintenance window.
(1) Between 6:30 am and 8:00 am, replace a network switch that provides network connectivity to the 3rd floor of BiHall. There will be a less than 30 minute interruption of network connectivity to all computers on the 3rd floor of BiHall.
(2) Between 8 am and 9 am, apply a patch to Web Help Desk. There will be a less than 10 minute interruption of service for Web Help Desk.
This Sunday morning during our maintenance window we will be performing the following activities:
(1) Between 6:30 and 10:00 am EST we will apply a service pack to our Exchange cluster that provides email services for @middlebury.edu and @miis.edu. Due to the redundant configuration of our Exchange environment we do not expect there will be a service disruption. You may be asked to re-authenticate during or following this window the next time you connect with an outlook.
(2) Between 7:00 and 8:30 am EST we will be adjusting the configuration of Web Help Desk as recommended by the vendor to support the access of content on 3rd party systems. There will be a less than 10 minute period when Web Help Desk is unavailable.
(3) Between 7:00 and 9:00 am EST we will be upgrading components of our real audio/video server (muskrat), it’s content is accessible and served by CONTENTDM. There will be a less than 10 minute period when the associated digital content hosted on this system is unavailable.
(4) Between 7:00 and 9:00 am EST we will be upgrading components of our ERes Library system (bearcat). There will be a less than 10 minute service interruption of ERes.
(5) Between 8:00 and 10:00 am EST we will be upgrading papercut to v13.4 – there will be a less than 10 minute service interruption to the following printing related servers during this window:
Additionally there will be an approximately 10 minute interruption of Web Print services generally and approximately 30 minute interruption of printing services generally when the papercut database is upgraded. Additionally a number of printing stations (generally Kyocera-Mita) will require a hands-on visit, a software update with a restart that will take place during the later hour of our maintenance window.
We appreciate your patience as these essential maintenance activities are performed.
Between 6 am and 7 am EDT Friday (10/25/2013) morning we will perform an upgrade to the system that hosts MiddFiles recommended by our vendor that is a first required step to improve performance. During this period there will be an approximately 15 minute period when MiddFiles will not be available.
We appreciate your patience and our apologies for scheduling this maintenance on short notice and outside our regular maintenance window of Sunday mornings.
This Sunday morning between 7 and 8:30 am we will be upgrade MiddFiles, there will be a less than 15 minute interruption of all connectivity to MiddFiles during this window. We have been continuing to work intensively with our vendor to isolate intermittent disconnects of all client computers to MiddFiles that are occurring due to unexpected and abnormal termination (core dump) of the smb service. When the smb service crashes, all of the client lose their connection to middfiles and need to reconnect, while this process doesn’t take long, it is noticeable and frustrating and particularly so if it is happening often, this is especially the case for database applications that are most sensitive to loss of their access to their underling storage environment. We have been making steady progress working with our vendor to apply patches and tune settings in order to reduce the frequency of these service interruptions, from as many as 40 a day a couple of weeks ago to 15 a day earlier this week to 6 yesterday. While we’re not out of the woods yet, we do believe that we are getting closer to putting this issue behind us.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or updates, in particular if we haven’t already touched base related to the impact this is having in your work groups area.
Digital Collections at Middlebury / CONTENTdm (middarchive.middlebury.edu) will be off-line for approximately 4 hours from 6 to 10am this Sunday morning 10/6/2013 in order to upgrade to version 6.5.
We will also be upgrading MiddFiles to apply a patch the system vendor has released and recommended as we work diligently to address the intermittent disconnect issues we have been recently experiencing. Thus between 7 and 8:30 am EST there will be an approximately 15 minute outage of MiddFiles this Sunday morning during our established maintenance window.
This Sunday morning during our established maintenance window from 6 am to 8 am we will be performing the below activities. Please share this message with colleagues as you see appropriate.
(1) Between 7 am and 8 am we will be upgrading our “MiddCloud” system that includes MiddFiles, Augusta, and Crux file servers. There will be a less than 15 minute interruption of access to these file servers during this period.
(2) Between 7:30 am and 9 am we will be upgrading our DNS (Domain Name Service) and DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) servers. We anticipate a less than 5 minute impact of domain name resolution during this period.
We appreciate your patience as we strive to keep our systems operating optimal. Please contact me with any questions.
We will be upgrading Web Help Desk between 8:00 am and 9:00 am this Sunday morning. During this period, Web Help Desk will be off-line for approximately 15 minutes.