Language School Orientations
It is that time of year again! In this meeting we will be going over the orientation sessions for Language Schools and Bread Loaf.
- Each school interprets the pledge slightly differently. Hospital, Helpdesk, and Reference Desk usually “English Safe Zones”. (Chinese School more strict)
Campus changes over. Some undergrad dorms become administrative & faculty offices. People who miss arrival center on Friday are often challenged by not having assistance other than Public Safety over the weekend.
Bilinguals: Traditionally, these support staff have assisted with technology help by translating tech questions to students.
- Also usually in charge of each school’s web presence during the summer.
- Also sort of RAs.
Send requests related to the orientation spreadsheet to Joe A.
DMTs: Unclear how much DMT support will be available.
2 separate start dates. “Hard” languages get extra weeks.
General Tech Training
Every Curricular Tech & Library training will ideally be preceded by a General Tech Training as it can be hard to focus on other info if you can’t log in.
Often run by Pij & Zach (and their colleagues).
Banner, wireless, printing, email, authentication
- Suggestion: Have someone who can reset accounts in room.
- Alternate suggestion: Get people to set up their accounts before they come to campus.
Challenge running orientation for different student levels (undergrad – masters – doctoral).
Library resources, ILL, purchasing.
Curricular Technology Orientation
- Course Hub intro (dashboard, resources, roster)
- **Moodle will NOT be available for ANY language school courses**
Help instructors set up their class resources.
Challenge: different ways each school schedule their classes/sections.
Academic Tech staff available for consultations for those who need more in-depth help.