Staff Council and the President’s Office are co-sponsoring a couple of events that require a fair amount of planning. If you’re interested in being part of either of these, please let us know!
- Employee art and craft exhibit – introduced last week, and now firmly scheduled for March 15th from 1-4 in the Lobby of the Center for the Arts. Described last week – please sign up here if you’re interested in exhibiting. As of the morning of January 24th, only five have signed up, and that’s not enough to go forward with.
- Bus trip to Fenway for a Red Sox game! We will be finalizing details in the near future but need to gauge the interest of staff members. Expressing an interest at this point is not a commitment to the trip. If you think you would attend, please see Theresa Hinman, send her an email at email@example.com, or call her at 989-9072 by February 7th.
Supervisors – please spread the word about these to staff without easy access to email or the web. Those interested in exhibiting in the art/craft exhibit can send information – name, department, and a brief description of what they’ll display – through campus mail to Arabella Holzapfel, LIB 132.
In other news – these Learning Lunches are coming up in the near future:
- February 5th – 12:15 in LIB 230 - What is civility, exactly? How can we foster civility in a vibrant college community with wide-ranging opinions, yet make meaningful progress on issues we care about? James Davis, Professor of Religion and author of “In Defense of Civility”, will host an open conversation. Please bring your lunch and join in!
- February 24th – 12:15 in LIB 230 – a preview of the Academy Awards with Ali Salem, a student who is studying Film and Media Culture. Bring your lunch and get a different perspective on the Oscars than you get from mass media!
- March 11th – 12:15 in Mitchell Green Lounge - Middlebury’s Digital Scholarship Working Group is helping faculty and students engage scholarship in new ways through MiddLab. What is MiddLab? What is digital scholarship, anyway? Rebekah Irwin, LIS’s Director of Collections, Archives, and Digital Scholarship, will clue us in! Bring your lunch and join us!
What is civility, exactly? How can we foster civility in a vibrant college community with wide-ranging opinions, yet make meaningful progress on issues we care about? James Davis, Professor of Religion and author of “In Defense of Civility”, will host an open conversation. Please bring your lunch and join in!
February 5th (Wednesday of break between J-Term and Spring), at 12:15 in Room 230 of the Davis Family Library.
Staff Council and the Office of the President are pleased to co-sponsor an event to highlight some of the pursuits that staff and faculty members engage in when they’re away from campus. More details of the event will be coming soon; for now, we would like to hear from employees who have items to exhibit.
Tentatively scheduled for March 15th from 1 to 4 pm, space will be provided, hopefully in the Mahaney Center for the Arts, to display works of art and craft created by Middlebury College employees. While sales of items at the event will not be allowed, exhibitors are welcome to include promotional materials and contact information within their display.
We will provide a table for each exhibitor who signs up. Exhibitors are responsible for providing their own seating and any display needs beyond a 6 to 8-foot banquet table.
To help us plan, if you would like to exhibit your work, please fill out this form or send your name, department, and a brief description of what you’ll be displaying through campus mail to Arabella Holzapfel, Library 132. The “best-by” date for signing up is March 1st.
(Please understand that for a variety of reasons, only employees of Middlebury College will be provided display space – no spouses, family members or friends.)
Staff and faculty members and their families are invited to enjoy a mini-trip to the tropics at the Natatorium on Saturday, January 25th from 1-3 pm. Staff Council will provide tropical decor and refreshments for these two hours during a regularly scheduled open swim time. Come escape the unusual winter for a couple of hours!
Other events in the near future being arranged by Staff Council (details later)
- February 5th at 12:15, in LIB 230. On Civility, a conversation with James Davis
- February 24th at 12:15, location tbd, a preview of the Academy Awards with Ali Salem ’16
- March 11th at 12:15, in Mitchell Green Lounge: What is digital scholarship? with Rebekah Irwin
An exhibit featuring art, craft, and other works of employees (staff and faculty) in early March. Date and location tbd; signup opportunities coming soon!
A bus/van trip to Fenway for a Red Sox game – date and details coming soon!
Members of the staff, faculty, and their families are invited to
Celebrate the fall season at
Middlebury College’s own Organic Farm –
Saturday, October 19, from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
In addition to pumpkin decorating and (we hope) face-painting, there may be opportunities to plant garlic or spring bulbs if you or your family members would like to join in.
The entrance to the Organic Farm is on Route 125, about a mile West of the driveway to McCardell Bicentennial Hall. This event will go on in most (but not all) weather conditions. If you want to be sure it’s happening, please call Arabella at 802.735.8539, late in the morning or early in the afternoon, of the 19th. See FallHarvestFestival_poster for more information.
Please join us for our monthly meeting on Wednesday, October 9th from 9-10:30 a.m. in the Crest Room in McCullough. Our guest speaker this month is Bill Burger. Bill is joining us to talk about all the exciting things happening at Communications.
Here’s the full agenda:
9:00 a.m. Open meeting and introductions
9:05 a.m. Approval of minutes from the September 2013 Meeting
9:10 a.m. Committee Reports
- Community Council
- Publicity and Events Committee
- Safety and Environment Committee
- Election Committee
- Staff Development Committee
- Compensation Committee
- Web Prioritization Committee
9:30 a.m. Old Business
9:35 a.m. New Business
- District B Representation Discussion
10:00 a.m. Bill Burger to speak about the Office of Communications
Staff Council regular meetings are open to all Middlebury College staff members. Staff members should let their supervisors know if there is a particular meeting they wish to attend. Supervisors will seek to find a positive balance between addressing operational needs and support staff requests to attend these meetings.
Reminder: The employee golf tournament was rescheduled for
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
9-hole Captain and Crew (4-person scramble)
Check-in: starting at 3:45 p.m.*
Shotgun start: 4:30 p.m.
Dinner: in Kirk following golf
Open to all faculty and staff.
Retirees are welcome to sign up anytime.
Details regarding team sign-up can be found here.