Media Services has created a few videos on the most common classroom emergency calls we respond to. They are; problems with projection from a laptop and no audio from a laptop. There is a video that covers very easy troubleshooting tips you can try before you call for help. Click on the links below to watch the video based on the type of computer you have. If you still have trouble after trying these tips, give the Helpdesk a call at X2200 and they will send someone from Media Services over to help.
The media equipment in Atwater A100, Atwater D102, Twilight 302, Monroe 222, 320, 404, and 405 is due for an upgrade.
Media Services has prepared the new equipment and we will be performing the upgrade during the August break .
Here is what would change:
- install a new, brighter, high definition projector with a longer lasting lamp
- retain the existing video connections and add a new type of connection (HDMI)
- replace the DVD player with a player that can play DVDs as well as Blu-ray discs
- remove the VCR
- replace the aging touch panel with a slightly larger one that we’ve found is easier to use (very similar to the new touch panels elsewhere on campus)
We can be available to provide an orientation of the new equipment before your first class following the break. Let Media Services know if you’re interested in an orientation session by contacting the Helpdesk.
Over February Break LIS upgraded the audio/video equipment in these classrooms on-campus:
La Force 121
Here is what has changed:
- added a new type of connection (HDMI) but kept the existing video connections
- replaced the DVD player with a Blu-ray player that can play DVDs as well as Blu-ray discs
- removed the VCR (3 loaner VCRs are available at the Davis Family Library and 1 will be available at Armstrong soon; VCRs can be plugged into the auxiliary video input at the rack)
- replaced the aging touch panel with a slightly larger one that we’ve found is easier to use (very similar to the touch panels in many other classrooms)
We’d be happy to schedule an orientation session – just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also watch a video on how to use the new equipment.
Throughout the rest of 2014 we plan to upgrade the equipment in several other classrooms:
Have you recently had difficulties projecting from your laptop or the podium desktop computer?
Here is an easy tip to try on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer:
- Press and hold the Windows button + P.
- This window will pop up for Windows 7
- Choose the Duplicate option.
- This window will pop up for Windows 8
- Choose the Duplicate option.
If you have a Mac or an older version of Windows you can visit our go/projection website for more projection tips.
We are looking into ways in which we can make the “Duplicate” option be default on podium computers. If you prefer to use one of the other options (e.g. Extend) you can always temporarily choose that.
Next week we will show you how to do the same on a Mac and we will also publish an article about using PowerPoint’s Presenter Mode. Stay tuned!
Please don’t hesitate to contact the helpdesk if you need more help! We are happy to schedule a help session for a larger group or meet with you one on one!
The LIS Media Services Crew