interviewing face to face… kinda

Today I had an interview with admissions officers from the Tisch program at NYU. Thank god for technology and the ability to interview over Skype, or I wouldn’t have been able to interview at all, which means I wouldn’t have been able to apply for the program in the first place.
skype75665_300

When I was asked to interview, I got an e-mail that said: “please let me know your availability for an interview this Friday, or early next week. Are you able to interview in New York? I assume not, in that case we would prefer a skype interview if possible.” I was so pleased to see this, because I was certainly not going to be able to make it to New York… not without missing many classes and lacrosse practices, and falling behind in work.

I was nervous for the Skype interview, just as much as I would have been to interview in person. I mean, in many ways it was the same. I was still speaking to the interviewers and able to see them at the same time…. It is certainly not the same though as actually being in the same room and interacting face to face. For one thing, I could have been wearing pajama bottoms, because my laptop camera only captured me from the chest up.

I guess also, even though I was nervous to talk to the admissions officers whom I’d never met before, there was a certain amount of comfort knowing I was just sitting in the Middlebury library study rooms – a familiar place that I only needed to walk to 20 minutes before my interview started.

Aside from being nervous about what they would ask me to talk about, I was being obsessive compulsive about making sure I was hard wired into the internet connection, logged onto Skype properly, and had enough battery power to last through the interview. After all my preparations, the last thing I would want to happen would be to have technical difficulty and be cut off in the middle of our screen to screen interview!!