Items for Consideration from May 2009 meeting of the Sciences Group

Categories: Advisory Groups, Items for Consideration, Sciences

–THIS PAGE WILL NOT BE UPDATED ANY FURTHER–

These are questions and suggestions that were raised in the Sciences Advisory Group’s May meeting.

Web Makeover:

  1. When will LIS will provide each department with its inventory of pages?
    Outcome: We are reviewing and sorting the inventory lists of more than 50,000 url’s from the current web site, and will be asking each department to review our lists and edit them so that we have an accurate inventory by the third week in June.

  2. Will departments get usage data (# of visits, eg) to assist with decisions on what to transfer to new site?
    Progress:
    Carrie is finding out to whom this question can be directed.
  3. Will the archived old system’s data be available so that at a subsequent time it will be accessible in order to transfer content from old site?
    Outcome: We have not yet determined for how long we will archive the old system’s data, but we will archive it for some period to be determined.
  4. There was a question about intellectual property.  Will someone be checking content to be sure it can be shared? For example, PDFs of articles, names of students.
    Outcome: The copyright guidelines in the college handbook are there to assist people to make this determination.  The handbook also has guidelines on sharing student records.  It is not our policy to review posted material unless we are notified that there is a problem.

  5. There was a recommendation that LIS should provide specific advice about whether and how to post PDFs of articles, names of students, etc. Perhaps put this advice in the workbook to be distributed to faculty and academic offices.
    Outcome:
    See answer to #4, above.  Carrie is inquiring about the “workbook,” too.

Segue:

  1. There will be a blog for updates on the Segue transition. The URL will be shared when it’s available.

Student Research and Technology Orientation Discussion

  1. Carrie and Matt will meet to discuss next steps, and share recommendations with group. Next steps might include gathering and sharing impressions with other advisory groups.
    Progress: Carrie and Matt met, Carrie will write a summary to share with the group.

About Carrie Macfarlane

Head of Research and Instruction.

One Response to Items for Consideration from May 2009 meeting of the Sciences Group

  1. Mary Backus and Joe Antonioli says:

    Web Makeover:

    1. When will LIS will provide each department with its inventory of pages?
    Progress: Carrie is finding out to whom this question can be directed.
    We are reviewing and sorting the inventory lists of more than 50,000 url’s from the current web site, and will be asking each department to review our lists and edit them so that we have an accurate inventory by the third week in June.

    3. We have not yet determined for how long we will archive the old system’s data, but we will archive it for some period to be determined.
    4. Our copyright guidelines in the college handbook are there to assist people to make this determination. It is not our policy to review posted material unless we are notified that there is a problem.
    5. Same as above

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>