Cambridge Companions are lively, accessible introductions to major writers, artists, philosophers, topics and periods. All are collections of specially commissioned essays, shaped and introduced to appeal to student readers. Current faculty, staff, and students have trial access to all 588 of the Cambridge Companions through mid-March.
Students, staff, and faculty at Middlebury have trial access to the online database version of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. Everything from the most recent edition is all right here, accessible from anywhere on campus (or off-campus for current faculty, staff, and students).
For the next 30 days, students, faculty, and staff of Middlebury College have free access to the Foreign Office Files for China, 1919-1980. These are archival documents from the British Foreign Office that deal with China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan from between 1919 through 1980. Our trial includes these parts of the archive:
- 1919-1929: Kuomintang, CCP and the Third International
- 1930-1937: The Long March, civil war in China and the Manchurian Crisis
- 1938-1948: Open Door, Japanese war and the seeds of communist victory
- 1949-1956: The Communist revolution
- 1957-1966: The Great Leap Forward
- 1967-1980: The Cultural Revolution
Students, faculty, and staff at both Middlebury College and the Middlebury Institute for International Studies at Monterey have free access to Data-Planet for a limited period of time.
Data-Planet’s two interfaces, Statistical Datasets and Statistical Ready Reference, provide access to the extensive Data-Planet repository of standardized and structured statistical data. Users can search and browse 25 billion data points in over 4.3 billion datasets sourced from over 70 authoritative public, private, domestic and international sources. Subjects covered include Statistics and Data, Business/Finance, Social Sciences: Political Science, criminal justice, social work, Demography, International Studies, Economics, Agriculture, Education, Nursing/Public Health, Environment/Climate Data/Energy and more.
Data-Planet has two access points:
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets provides users with various analysis tools to manipulate datasets, compare multiple indicators, and view in various charts such as trends, rankings, pie charts and maps. Multiple export options are also available..
- Data-Planet Ready Reference provides refined searching of the Data-Planet repository. The Ready Reference interface allows for a more simplified tool for the novice researcher getting to the same data interested in accessing a quick statistic, chart, graph, etc. A quick number or statistic for a state or country may also be quickly retrieved in this interface.
It’s modeled after the experience of browsing the periodical shelves in the library, but it’s on your mobile device. There are many more features, too.
We would really like to get some feedback from all parts of our user community this time – staff, faculty, and students! Try out BrowZine – the web version, or download the app – and let us know what you think: email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your liaison.
For a limited time, members of the Middlebury College community can discover the full panoply of American regional words, phrases, and pronunciations with Harvard’s Dictionary of American Regional English, or DARE. The digital edition features audio, interactive maps, and insights into the DARE Survey.Let us know what you think – email email@example.com or contact your library liaison.