Tag Archives: liaison

Liaison Discussion: Curricular technology update

Topic: Curricular technology update. Led by Joe Antonioli.
Who’s Invited: All liaisons and anyone who might be interested!
Who’s “Required”: Primary liaisons, please try to attend if you can. Sorry in advance for any conflicts.
Where and when: Wednesday, September 18, 10-11 am. Wilson Media Lab.

Description:
The spring workshop was so useful that we asked Joe for a fall workshop! Joe will provide updates on curricular technology including a demo of the SansSpace online language lab.

***
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

Liaison Discussion: Understanding Fair Use

Topic: Understanding Fair Use. Led by Kellam Ayres.
Who’s Invited: All liaisons, and anyone else who might be interested
Who’s “Required”: Primary liaisons, please try to attend if you can. Sorry in advance for any conflicts.
Where and when: Tuesday, July 9. 10:30-11:30 am. LIB 145.

Description: Want to learn how to confidently make Fair Use evaluations for copyrighted materials? I’ll walk you through the Four Factors and then show you a few online tools to help resolve even the trickiest questions. (This is a repeat of Kellam’s 2013 LIS In-Service presentation.)

***
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

Liaison Discussion: Assessment

Topic: Assessment. Led by Adela Langrock, Office of Planning and Assessment.
Who’s Invited: All liaisons and anyone who might be interested
Who’s “Required”: Primary liaisons, please try to attend if you can. Sorry in advance for any conflicts.
Where and when: Tuesday, March 12, 10-11 am. LIB 145.

Description: Adela will tell us what academic departments and programs been asked to do regarding assessment of student learning, share some examples of what departments have chosen to do, and discuss how assessment is a continuous process that should build over time. We’ll then share some ideas regarding how LIS staff can contribute to information literacy assessment efforts, both through our information literacy pilots and through our individual course-related workshops.
***
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

Liaison Discussion: Curricular resources and projects

Topic: Curricular resources and projects. Led by Joe Antonioli and Adam Franco.
Who’s Invited: All liaisons and anyone who might be interested
Who’s “Required”: Primary liaisons, please try to attend if you can. Sorry in advance for any conflicts.
Where and when: Wednesday, February 20, 10-11 am. LIB 145.

Description:
Joe and Adam will provide an overview of curricular resources and projects, including:
* Course Catalog and Scheduler
* Adding Middfiles to the Course Hub
* Digital Language Lab pilot
* Adaptive Testing

***
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

Liaison Discussion Section (AND optional all-LIS meeting): Customer care and feedback

Topic: Customer care and feedback: techniques and tips discussed. Led by Jess Isler.
Who’s Invited: All liaisons and anyone else who is interested
When: Wednesday, April 18, from 10:15-11:15 am Thursday, April 19, from 3-4 pm
Where: LIB 145, Davis Family Library

This will be a short presentation, followed by open discussion. Virtually everyone in LIS works in a service role for some type of customer, be they faculty, staff, students, or our fellow LIS colleagues. It can be helpful to reflect periodically on our approach to a familiar topic and see how we might improve upon it. Jess will share advice and techniques learned during meetings with College employees at the forefront of customer care (employees from within and beyond LIS) and supplemented by research (articles, blog posts, and books). Attendees will be encouraged to share their own tips and techniques for approaching customer care interactions and how to deal effectively with feedback. It will be geared toward all LIS staff whose work includes customer service. Please send Jess any questions in advance (jisler@middlebury.edu).

******************
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

This Liaison Discussion Section will take the place of the optional all-LIS meeting scheduled for April 19.

Liaison Discussion Section: Migrating from Segue

Topic: Migrating from Segue: Common questions and how to answer them. Presented by Barbara Merz and Bryan Carson.
Who’s Invited: All liaisons and anyone else who is interested
When: Wednesday, March 21, from 9:30-11 am
Where: Wilson Media Lab, Davis Family Library

This will be a demo plus Q&A about what often happens (ie, what fixes are needed) when a site is transferred from Segue to WordPress or Moodle. It will be geared toward LIS staff who support these platforms.  Barbara will lead the WordPress portion of the workshop, and Bryan will lead the Moodle portion. Please send them any questions in advance (merz@middlebury.edu and bcarson@middlebury.edu).

******************
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

Liaison Discussion Section: Copyright Questions and Answers

Topic: Copyright Questions and Answers, presented by Terry Simpkins and Kellam Ayres
Who’s Invited: All liaisons and anyone else who is interested
When: Wednesday, December 7, from 11 am-12 pm
Where: Davis Family Library 105

The 2010 MISO Survey revealed that some faculty felt relatively uninformed about copyright and fair use.  Liaisons decided we could provide more guidance if we ourselves knew a little more.  Terry Simpkins is our copyright officer, and Kellam Ayres is familiar with copyright practices because of her work in Reserves.  Terry and Kellam will share answers to frequently asked questions about copyright, including print, sound, and visual formats.  (A future discussion might look more deeply into visual formats.)

******************
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address research and/or technology topics of interest to liaisons. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both. They take place most often on the 3rd week of the month, but in order to allow people who work different hours to attend, they’re sometimes scheduled for different days/times.

Liaison Discussion Section – Summon

You’re invited!  (Who?  All LIS liaisons and anyone else who might be interested.) 

Liaison Discussion Section
Thursday 5/19,  10-11 am in Lib 105
Topic: Summon, the greatest library research tool ever to be invented!  And I might not even be exaggerating.  Bryan Carson will do a quick demo, then we all can try it and share what we figure out.  It’s in Beta testing now (look for it on the library home page), but it’ll be live by the time summer school starts.
RSVP:  Liaisons have received and responded to an Outlook invite.  All others don’t need to respond.  Just come if you’re interested!

******************
“Liaison Discussion Section” meetings address topics of interest to liaisons: research and/or technology. They can be conversations, or presentations, or both.  They take place most often in the 3rd week of the month.  Anyone in LIS or beyond is welcome to attend.