To give our colleagues a better idea of what’s changed in our web applications each week, we’ll be preparing this quick list for publication each Friday. Not all of the details of each change are included below, but we’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have in the comments.
What follows is a report on the state of notable web applications and sites in use at Middlebury including the College website, the Middlebury instance of WordPress (i.e. sites.middlebury.edu) and a variety of key web applications that provide services widely used by faculty, students and staff. More →
We have just introduced a new course schedule planning tool to help students discover courses and arrange selections of them that avoid timing conflicts.
When browsing the online catalog at go/catalog you can now log in and save courses that you find interesting. Look for “Save” links to the top-right of course descriptions. Courses can be saved either from the search view or from the detail views linked-to from department course listings.
This screen-cast gives an overview of the Schedule-Planner and how to use it:
Save courses at any time as you come across interesting ones.
Create one or more schedules for a term to see how different course selections might fit together.
Ensures that discussion and lab sections are considered.
Time-conflicts are highlighted.
Schedules can be emailed to an adviser or anyone else.
Schedules can be printed to aid in finding classrooms.
Please note that this tool is designed as a planning and advising aid — it does not register you for classes. Also, it does not have access to individual student records and hence does not check that prerequisites have been met.
This will be my last post as the workgroup leader for the DAS workgroup, as we move into the new organizational structure announced by Mike Roy at the last all-LIS staff meeting. Here are some of the projects and tasks that DAS staff members have been working on during the past month…
Mike Schuster - Several Revisions to Room Draw SSB forms and lots of testing
- Added new student search dropdown box and removed boxes used by students to enter group member IDs.
- Modified procedures so as each student is selected, several eligibility checks are made.
- Modified message text displayed when students are ineligible.
- Modified WebTailor Infotext for links.
- Added logic to allow the group representative to remove group members when they’ve accidentally selected one.
- Created a database view of instructors to be used by new online catalog web page.
- Modified web directory script to correctly select on leave graduate students during winter term.
- Created database tables that will be used by custom Monterey web admissions applications forms.
- Assisted the registrar’s office with running the Term Student Type Update program(SHRTYPE) and the Learner Curriculum Conversion Program(SOPLCCV).
- After the registrar’s office runs SHRTYPE for a particular term, I create a population selection in Banner and run SOPLCCV with that popsel.
- Reviewed Clearinghouse Self-Service Authentication documentation and sample code.
Ian McBride (Full list at: https://www.yammer.com/users/imcbride)
- Completed MiddMedia plugin for WordPress
- Assisted with completion of RFP for Web Makeover
- Created conference registration form for VCC
- Developed payment form for Print Management
- Modified Athletics Recruiting application to remove Primary Sport
- Designed database sync script for the Course Catalog
- Launched CSO and Judicial Boards sites
- Upgraded Key Survey to version 7.1
- Troubleshooting cForms issue
- Testing cForms 10.3
- Two cforms trainings (Chemistry Department, Institutional Planning and Diversity)
- Finished first wave of BLM implementation (is now live) as well as fixed various bugs
- List Manager Configuration for newsletters / MiddCMS Newsletter support
- General support and Heat tickets
- Re-aligned parent Donor codes for “Feb” students.
- Removed obsolete region codes related to “CA Mailing”.
- Enhanced existing “pledge installment” view.
- Investigate poor query execution between databases (production and non-production).
- Created table to hold local data for the Harris Online Community project.
- Sent sample dataset to Harris thus enabling them to begin on data mapping on their side of the implementation project.
- Continued to fine tune the web pages for Phonathon segment creation
- Created new indicator for “young Alumni” (alumni for only 1-10 years) for the Banner List Manager project.
- Create stewardship project codes for Athletics (ATHSTW) and the Axinn Center (AXNSTW)
- Rewrote of slow performing fiscal data view for CA
Chris Norris Staffing
- Transition planning for organizational re-structuring with DAS staff, Area Directors, and workgroup leaders Project Work
- Reviewed Phoenix BIA summary presentation
- Drafted spec for remote DR web presence
- Revised Banner-ListManager project requirements with DAS staff
- Revised Broadcast Email Newsletter request document
- Configured four new Broadcast Email Newsletter editions with DAS staff
- Completed work on 2008 Summary Web Statistics for Web Makeover project
- Completed work on Stakeholder Reports for Web Makeover project
- Completed work on GSA (Google Search) for MIIS sites
- Began configuration and setup of Google Apps for Education (alpha instance) Meetings
- Participated in Web Makeover project team meetings
- Met with HR staff regarding OpenHire “internal job site” project
- Met with Brett Wilhelm regarding departure considerations
- Met with members of the web subcommittee of the Sexual Assault Oversight Committee regarding a new web presence
- Participated in College Advancement Operations team meetings
- Participated in Harris online community project team meetings
- Participated in Pay for Print project team meetings
- Participated in MIIS technology team meeting
- Participated in College Data Workshop with IR, Faculty, and other LIS staff
- Conducted final DAS staff check-in meetings Systems Administration
- Ongoing monitoring and problem resolution of online services
- Configured new GO rewrite rules
- Ongoing tuning of GSA to improve search results
- Renewals of College-owned domain names
- Transferred UWAC domains to College-managed account Help, Support, Training, Workshops
- Updated Middlebury’s United Way web presence (campaign stats)
- Provided support for Broadcast Email Newsletters, CMS editing, BLWC Submission Manager, HEAT tix, and various ad-hoc help calls
- Conducted a Broadcast Email Newsletter training with Young Alumni staff
- Conducted a Broadcast Email (advanced) workshop for CA staff Vendor Related Activities
- Participated in Sun-Guard/SCT Banner DBA weekly status calls
- Participated in Velaris Hyperion SysAdmin weekly status calls
- Participated in Google Apps for Education project team call with Google
- Transitioned Hyperion SysAdmin vendor (Velaris) relationship managment to Jeff Rehbach
- Provided IMA (eCommerce) details for Harris online community project