Category Archives: Middlebury Community Interest

@MiddInfoSec: “Middlebury College!” A Well Crafted Phishing Attack Looks to Come from the College

Over the past couple of days Middlebury College has been the target of a well-crafted  phishing campaign. Phishing messages are email messages designed to trick you into divulging your username and password. In this case, the phishing messages were written so that they looked like they were sent from Middlebury’s Department of Public Safety. An example of this phishing message is included below.

Middlebury’s email system was able to filter the vast majority of these phishing messages, delivering them into each recipient’s Spam Quarantine. Even with this protection, however, a few individuals released the messages from their quarantines, opened  the messages, and clicked on the phishing links therein.

Always use caution with quarantined messages. The quarantine is specifically designed to protect you from phishing attacks.  If you have any questions about a quarantined message, contact the Help Desk or send a note to We would be glad to help.

Sample Phishing Message:


For more information on phishing please visit For additional details about spam filtering and the spam quarantine, please review Spam Filtering at Middlebury.

New to the library – EBSCO e-books

Students, faculty, and staff at Middlebury now have access to over 140,000 e-books on the EBSCO e-book platform.


Ranging from history, religion, and the sciences to poetry, languages, and the arts, these books are available from on-campus or off-campus to multiple simultaneous users.



Over the next few days, these books will become discoverable in Summon, and can be found in Midcat in a few weeks. Let us know what you think – contact your liaison or

Clifford Symposium at the Library – through October

Clifford Symposium at the LibraryThe libraries are pleased to support the Art and Science of Mindful Engagement during the  Clifford Symposium and beyond. Dip into a few recommended books on display, let a podcast walk you through a guided meditation, and disconnect from daily stressors in the Unplug and Recharge Room. (Or, borrow meditation cushions from the Circulation Desk and use them anywhere in the library!)

All will be available during regular library hours now through mid-October.

Library Book Display (Davis Family Library): Recommendations from faculty, students, and staff for mindfulness and meditation readings. Browse and borrow whatever you like! Located on the main level of the Davis Family Library.

Guided Meditation Station (Davis Family Library): Pick a blue chair, put on the headphones, and hit “play.” A professional will walk you through a short guided meditation exercise. Try it and see how you feel afterward! Located on the main level of the Davis Family Library.

Unplug and Recharge Room (Davis Family Library): Take a break and disconnect from daily stressors. A secluded corner of the library will be screened off to create a temporary Unplug and Recharge Room with meditation cushions and soft lighting. Located on the upper level of the Davis Family Library.

Meditation Cushions  (Davis Family Library and Armstrong Library): Thanks to the Scott Center for Spiritual and Religious Life, we are able to offer loaner meditation cushions for the whole school year. Check them out from the Circulation Desk, and use them anywhere in the library for 2 hours.

Library hours at

Notes for Core Team September 20, 2016

LTI Report:

  • What does ‘public’ actually mean?
  • Partial list of installed LTI’s
  • Adobe Connect, Lib Guides, Chat Room, Course Load, Andover Fulcrum
  • Khan Academy
  • Ted Ed App
  • 3D game lab
  • Amy S. noticed some were added to course she and Bob are working, but they didn’t add them.
  • Didn’t know we already had so many already installed, many related to Adobe Connect.
  • What is Ref Me? Something of Stacy’s, American Studies? Likely research guide tool.
  • Need more info on the difference between public, name only and anonymous?


What do we do with this info?

  • -Most are LTI’s been installed by faculty
  • Contact Faculty, let them know they are sharing roster info with third party service via LTI? Who should take on that notification, ODL, GLC…? Discussion.
  • We now have LTI governance and use that to work through the existing LTI’s(Sean)
  • (Joe) most concerned with the LTI’s that are public.
  • Research to see if the publics are actually sharing information.
  • Name only, Arc(Canvas internal) and Ref Me(helps with Apa citations).
  • Is Ref Me legacy? Amy F. has looked in the course and isn’t sure what is creating it. May want to check with Brian Carson.

Amy F. will check with Brian about Ref Me

Joe will inquire with Instructure (Libby) about different categories; public, name only and anonymous. Are LTI’s auto enabled when using contact YouTube, Vimeo

  • Public FERPA violation? Joe believes students need to be notified and offered option to opt out of the service.
  • Concerns about how we are going to be able to police this.
  • Many may be activated based upon content being added, not deliberately installed.
  • Joe A. concern about public and name only.
  • Do we want to be gatekeeper or turn off faculties ability to turn on LTI?
  • Faculty have agreements when doing blog posts, that informs student that work will be available for world to see. Frequently used in writing program.

Dashboard for LTI’s in evaluation process. Old Project Academic Cyberinfrastructure Project, being reengaged to take on LTI’s we don’t want multiple inventories.

Joe A. will work on it and report back in about a month.

Had used Google Fusion tables and reached limits, going to make prototype, make searchable and we will try and evaluate.

Adam had gotten inquiry about the inventory and if their were any deliverables available to share. Joe A. said Fusion tables and spreadsheet are available. People can be pointed to spreadsheet for immediate future.


ACTT Shared Values:

  • Sean, Joe and Bob had meeting with people who had been through process.
  • How do we go about creating our shared value as a group.
  • Values need to apply to work the group does.
  • Does Core Group know the work of the ACTT. If we don’t have clarity on the work, creating values will be more challenging.
  • What work, core team? Extended team? Touching work?
  • Amy S. start narrow, with recommendation process.
  • Part of work in evaluations, hard to evaluate without values.
  • Begin with core team?
  • Adequate Excellence, Legum(swedish for just enough)?
  • Adam? What is the point of exercise? Checklist for evaluations?
  • -originally context of class where working with clients, researching clients. Research context? How to do approach research ethically.
  • -Ethics for how you develop relationship with those you serve.
  • Project by project, or have overall values and apply overall to project?
  • ODL started to draft some values. For customers to know our approach. Ethics can become part of core message outward facing, can also help when doing the work.
  • Important to discuss how we would use this in our work. Perhaps each time we took on a project. And as recommendation is being finalized.
  • Bob C. having values informs the work and makes review less ad hoc.
  • Values could be part of the outward facing portion of the group. When working with us, this is how we would work.
  • Client’s values could be taken into consideration.


Next Steps:


  • Each team member identified 5 values and definitions for ACTT work
  • Focus on evaluation and recommendation work


  • Shared Google Doc for submission of values
    • Wordsmithing will occur during meeting discussion



Bob hosting Panopto intro

Four courses including Panopto, including ‘Batman unlimited’

Jamie Cloud Storage

Home directory ITS project group reshuffled. Timeline laid out December, liscense renewal for backup software due in February with monitor implications.

ILLiad Web pages down for ILLiad Upgrade

The upgrade is now complete.

The ILLiad web pages will be down from 9:00 am today while we upgrade the ILLiad software to v8.7.  The ILL web site will be inaccessible for only a short time, assuming all goes well with the update.

If anyone has problems after 2:00 pm, please contact Rachel Manning at x5498 or for assistance.

Notes for Core Team Septembr 13, 2016

Google Hangout

  • Took some time to get the meeting going, meeting was not showing up in some people’s Hangout dashboard
  • Sean showed Joe how to park a Hangout url, we will use that from now on

Canvas LTI Governance

  • Joe shared Bill K’s feedback with the rest of the ACTT
  • Requests should be submitted to ATG/DLC/ODL by faculty, requests should be shared with the ACTT
  • ATG/DLC/ODL members will evaluate the LTI
    • Test installation
    • Confirm utility with requestor
    • Check use of student data by the LTI
    • Complete the SaaS if necessary.
  • ACTT will confirm completion of the evaluation, and will evaluate for the sub-account and platform levels.
  • A flowchart of the process is available here.
  • Q: Can we create a list of LTIs and where they are in the process?
    • A: yes. Let’s start with a spreadsheet, then see if that is adequate
  • Q: Do we know what LTIs have been installed already?
    • A: yes. Canvas can export an LTI report. Joe will run the report and share it.
  • Attendance tool was disabled, it creates conflicts with the gradebook. We’ll collect requests, examine the feature, and maybe address the conflict with education for the following semester.

Web Conferencing/Adobe Connect Replacement

  • Bob, Sean and Joe met with Petar and Mack to discuss a plan for looking at 4 services in a short amount of time. The hope is we can either eliminate a few, or identify one that is noticeably better than the others.
  • In one meeting the Extended Team and other guests will spend 10-15 minutes in each services, test features, then jump to the next service.
  • The invitation will be shared on the All Things Digital Slack channel, as well
  • Interested faculty can join via invitation.
  • Plan is to do this at the Extended Team meeting on October 4th.
  • Bob, Sean, Petar, Mack and Joe will design a detailed plan on October 3rd, Joe will share out with the meeting invitation.
  • We will have an open In-progress Project meeting on October 11th to discuss the results.

Notes for Adobe Connect Replacement, LTI Governance


  • Google Apps for Edu allows for up to 15 participants on hangouts (as opposed to 10).
  • Storage project is now underway (Zach)
    • Goal: reduce dependency on local storage infrastructure and improve access across devices and locations.
    • Email migration was first step, second step will be migration of home directories on Midd/MIIS files to the cloud.
    • Strong sense that we will be recommending One Drive as default best option, but Google Drive will continue to be supported.
  • Checking in on how Hangouts is working for our team communication/meetings
    • Have presenters join individually via Hangouts so that they aren’t just presenting “to the room”?
    • Would be helpful to provide docs/resources referenced in the meeting via the Hangout chat (Jamie)
    • Lower thirds have been super helpful
    • Core team has been meeting exclusively via Hangouts (everyone joins separately), would be great if we could practice this for extended team meetings, as well

Adobe Connect Replacement

    • Features for Web Conferencing Platform (adobe connect replacement)
    • Mack and Petar presented  to us on the status of this project in July
    • 80 host licenses on our current Adobe Connect contract – we’ve hit capacity and purchase 10 or more licenses a year
    • Adobe got rid of edu discount, so next fiscal year we’ll be using an alternative
      • 4 alternative platforms are being considered:
      • Related to another IT driven project – phone system replacement at the College
        • Most of the systems being considered have a UC (unified communications) component.
        • Webex and Vidyo are being considered as alternatives to AC as part of the phone replacement project
      • Zoom and Blue Jeans are two additional web conferencing platforms being considered (independent of phone replacement)


  • If there is a clear front runner after rigorous testing of different options, we will proceed with a pilot (Mack)


    • Zoom Webex and Blue Jeans meet our needs as a replacement for Adobe Connect, according to the criteria we set in above form
    • Options that have been ruled out for various administrative/functionality-related reasons
      • Skype for business
      • Gotomeeting
    • How AC is currently being used
      • School of Hebrew hybrid program
      • Language School pre-immersion (Russian + Korean)
      • Administrative working groups at College
      • MIIS: probably 20 active users per semester
        • IEM program relies heavily on web conferencing each semester
          • Symposium, synchronous practicum course throughout the semester, guest speakers
        • Recruiting: virtual recruiting series each semester
        • Annual Nonproliferation teacher training – virtual workshops


  • For now, how do we test these different tools?


      • Our group will test out the 4 different platforms during our meetings
        • Musical chairs, 15 minutes?
      • Our group will try to identify the one tool that stands out and then pilot that group with the various academic/administrative groups reliant AC


  • During those 15 minutes, we’ll be evaluating


  • Project team: Mack, Petar, Joe, Bob, ODL (Sean or Amy C)
    • Project team will share meeting links with us to attend via the different platforms, a member of the project team will lead each test.

LTI Governance

    • Learning Technology Integration (LTI)
    • Canvas has the ability to link to other services internally
    • LTIs can be linked at
      • Course level (by faculty)
      • Subaccount level (MIIS, Breadloaf, etc.)
      • Uber admin level (available for all courses across the board)
    • Eduapps
      • Right now, faculty can find direct links to services and add them directly
    • Governance questions and next steps


  • Next steps: Joe has drafted a recommendation and will be sharing for feedback, then we’ll decide how to move forward


  • Additional questions from the group
    • What was the process for Moodle/LTI? (Petar)
      • College only had one LTI request ever – no precedent
    • Replace “student data” with “protected data” in flowchart?
      • Comply with FERPA
      • Health data?
    • WordPress parallel – how do plugin requests get vetted? Do we need to be talking about governance processes more broadly? (Bob)
    • If we do approve the request, at what level does that take place? Subaccount? Everyone?
    • If the LTI has a cost, which budget would it come out of? (Mack)
      • Cost will be addressed on a case by case basis
    • Streamlining the faculty experience – should we try to ensure that this request process is similar to requesting WordPress plugins or Google Apps integrations (Zach)?
      • Joe’s gut reaction: we should stick to focusing on Canvas, the governance question is new to us. Let’s focus on success with Canvas governance and then think about how it could be a model for future platforms. We can have the conversation about Google Apps at a later date.
      • Currently no governing body that approves or denies WordPress plugin requests. There has never been a formal system for vetting requests beyond whether adding them will break anything. (Adam)

Welcome (Back) to the Libraries!

Whether you’re new to campus or returning from summer break, we welcome you to the libraries.

Midd Libraries Quick Guide

Midd Libraries Quick Guide

Ready for an introduction to library resources? You’ll find all the advice you need to get started in the Midd Libraries Quick Guide.

Want a deeper look at our collections? There’s a guide for every subject at