How Successful People Stay Calm (from LinkedIn)
- Article explains optimal stress and includes 10 best strategies for managing stress (and emotions).
Churnalism: When Press Releases Masquerade as News Stories
- British YouTube video illustrating “churnalism” (media articles based on press releases) with examples of how some fake press releases made it into mainstream media. By Churnalism.com (promotes their churnalism detection extension for Chrome and Firefox). (Shared on the ili-l listserv by Maryke Barber).
Demand Media Infographic
- Infographic illustrating how “content mills” work based on one example. Shows how content (matching web search terms) is written for the internet to generate ad sales. (Also shared on the ili-l listserv by Maryke Barber).
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) seeks to weed out ‘predatory’ OA journals.
… following criticism of [DOAJ’s] quality-control checks, the website is asking all of the journals in its directory to reapply on the basis of stricter criteria. It hopes the move will weed out ‘predatory journals’: those that profess to publish research openly, often charging fees, but that are either outright scams or do not provide the services a scientist would expect, such as a minimal standard of peer review or permanent archiving …
More background and perspective from Rick Anderson via the Scholarly Kitchen.
On Monday, August 18th from 11 am – 3 pm, NExpress will be unavailable for requesting while our vendor upgrades a server. We apologize for any inconvenience.
The media equipment in Atwater A100, Atwater D102, Twilight 302, Monroe 222, 320, 404, and 405 is due for an upgrade.
Media Services has prepared the new equipment and we will be performing the upgrade during the August break .
Here is what would change:
– install a new, brighter, high definition projector with a longer lasting lamp
– retain the existing video connections and add a new type of connection (HDMI)
– replace the DVD player with a player that can play DVDs as well as Blu-ray discs
– remove the VCR
– replace the aging touch panel with a slightly larger one that we’ve found is easier to use (very similar to the new touch panels elsewhere on campus)
We can be available to provide an orientation of the new equipment before your first class following the break. Let Media Services know if you’re interested in an orientation session by contacting the Helpdesk.
One of our two Internet service providers FirstLight has fiber maintenance scheduled this coming Tuesday morning, Aug 12th. This is related to the railway modification plans in downtown Middlebury. Our Internet service should have little to no impact as we have redundant capacity between two providers.
The fiber circuit connecting the Bread Loaf campus to Middlebury campus will be down for up to 90 minutes sometime within the 12:01am to 5:00am maintenance window Tuesday morning. Bread Loaf will have no network connectivity during that time. FirstLight has scheduled the following two mornings as alternates in case of weather related delays.
Start Date: 08/12/2014-08/14/2014
Start Time: 0001 EDT
Estimated End Date: 08/12/2014-08/14/2014
Estimated End Time: 0500 EDT
Service Impact: Loss of service for up to 90 minutes.
William D Sneed
ITS – Central Systems & Network Services
Middlebury College, Voter Hall B05
Middlebury, VT 05753
10 robots you’ll find in unexpected places
Would you pick up a hitchhiking robot? 10 robots you’ll find in unexpected places
The 10 most cringe-worthy tech movies ever made – If movie scenes with ultra-fast typing make you shake your head, here are 10 terrible tech films guaranteed to make you wince.
This message is from Remote-Learner, our Moodle host:
Remote Learner will be conducting database maintenance August the 15th from 01:00 AM EST until 04:00 AM EST on the Kansas City data center. During this window we will be improving the performance and resiliency of our database system. During this time you may experience periods with loss of connectivity to your hosted site. Thank you for your patience as we continue improving our services.
Remote-Learner Technical Support
The Wellograph watch.
Looks are everything in wearable tech – Fashion and design increase the appeal of wearable tech devices, according to panelists at the Wearable Tech Expo in New York.
During our regular Sunday morning system maintenance today the swap between primary and backup NAS clusters was successful. The filesystems for Middfiles, Crux, and Augusta are all available for use. One side-effect of the cluster swap is some computers may need to be rebooted to see Middfiles or the home directory.
If you cannot see your home directory or Middfiles, or get prompted for a username and password when trying to, please reboot your computer. That should resolve the issue and force the computer to successfully recognize that the primary and backup clusters have swapped roles.
We appreciate your patience as we strive to keep our systems functioning optimally.