This Sunday morning during our maintenance window we will be performing the following activities.
(1) At approximately 8 am we will be upgrading our domain name servers (DNS) to support separate on campus and off campus views. While we do not expect any service impact, we are preforming this change during our maintenance window.
(2) At approximately 9 am we will be upgrading our database infrastructure behind our primary web sites (www.middlebury.edu, www.miis.edu). While we do not expect any service impact, we are preforming this change during our maintenance window.
Thanks for your patience as this essential work is completed.
This Sunday morning during our maintenance window we will be performing the following activities:
(1) Upgrade the “Go” Web Application server, we expect less than a 10 minute interruption of service at approximately 7:00 am.
(2) Upgrade Central Authentication Service (CAS), we do not expect a service impact, this activity will also take place at approximately 7:00 am.
Thanks for your patience as we strive to keep our systems operating optimally.
This Sunday morning during our maintenance window of 6 am until 10 am we will be upgrading a number of network switches that provide connectivity to buildings throughout the Middlebury campus. There will be about a 15 minute interruption of network access as each network switch is upgraded.
The affected locations are:
220 College St
30 College St
BiHall (this building will be completed before 7:30 am)
Public Safety (this building will be completed before 7:30 am)
This Sunday morning during our maintenance window between 6 am 10 am we will be upgrading network switches that provide network connectivity to the following locations on the Middlebury campus. There will be an approximately 15 minute interruption of network services at each location as each switch is upgraded. Thank you for your patience as we perform this essential proactive maintenance.
Bread Loaf (all)
Voter 1st floor
This Sunday morning between our maintenance window of 6 am to 10 am we will be performing the following network activity:
Between 6 am and 7 am we will be replacing networking equipment that serves Proctor. There will be less than a 30 minute network outage during this period to locations within Proctor including the book store, dining facilities and WRMC, this will include the radio transmission of WRMC.
Between 6:30 am and 8:00 am we will upgrade the network equipment that service the Biomass area within the Service Building. There will be a less than 20 minute network outage during this period within the Biomass facility, Locksmith and Custodial Services locations.
Between 7:00 and 8:30 am we will be checking fiber connections that terminate in one of our primary data centers, while we do not expect any network impact, it is possible there may be several less than 1 minute interruptions of network connectivity to many buildings on campus.
Thanks for your patience as we strive to keep our network operating optimally.
The following essential network maintenance activity is planned for this Sunday morning that will result in extended service interruptions throughout the campus.
Between 6:30 and 7:15 am the network core’s components will be upgraded. While all of the components of the network core are redundant, not all parts of the network throughout the campus have a path back to both sides of the network core. As a result there will be a 20 – 30 minute network service interruption for the majority of buildings on campus.
Between 7:00 and 8:15 am critical network aggregation switches that connect campus buildings and server farms to the network core will be upgraded. This will result in a complete interruption of network connectivity of approximately 30 minutes throughout the campus. This includes access to the College’s primary web sites, Email, MiddFiles – all systems hosted at Middlebury.
Between 7:45 and 9:00 am our border gateway routers and other components that connect the network core with the Internet will be upgraded. We expect four 3-5 minute periods where Internet routing will be in flux and expect transient loss of Internet connectivity for the Middlebury campus. During these four 3-5 minute periods, the VPNs with MIIS and Ellucian may be interrupted briefly, this would impact reaching Banner SSB and INB.
These network upgrades are essential and must be completed in a timely manner. We appreciate your patience as we strive to keep our network operating optimally.
Between 1 and 6 am on Saturday morning Remote-Learner will be upgrading the Middlebury Moodle (http://moodle.middlebury.edu/) and Measure (https://measure.middlebury.edu/) instances. During this period we expect that there will be several brief disruptions of these services.
The Follow activities are planned for this Sunday morning during our established maintenance window between 6 and 10 am.
(1) Between 6 and 7 am we will be reconfiguring a network security appliance that lives in our path to our Internet services providers. We do not expect a noticeable service impact.
(2) Between 6 and 7 am we will be performing essential maintenance on our network core. We do not expect a noticeable service impact.
(3) Between 6 and 7 am we will be dual-homing outer core network switches that provide connectivity to the below buildings, we do not expect a noticeable service impact:
Center for the Arts
All of Athletics
Robert A. Jones
(4) Between 7: 45 and 8:45 we will be upgrading the servers that provide caching of our primary web sites (www.middlebury.edu, www.miis.edu), we do not expect a noticeable service impact.
(5) Between 6 and 10 am we will be upgrading a number of network switches throughout the Middlebury campus. There will be an approximately 15 minute network service interruption during this period to the following buildings:
All of Athletics
Center for the Arts
220 College St
This Sunday morning we’re planning the following activities:
(1) Between 6:00 and 7:00 we’ll be upgrading the operating system of one of our building network aggregation switch, this will result in an interruption of network connectivity for about 15 minutes to the following buildings:
- Small student houses on west side of campus
- Public Safety
- Voter faculty and students
(2) Between 6:00 and 7:00 am we’ll be dual-homing a server farm aggregation network switch, we do not expect any network impact of this activity.
(3) Between 6:30 and 7:30 we’ll be enhancing the routing exchange on our border gateway routers and with our Internet Service Providers. We don’t expect an interruption of Internet connectivity, worse case is a less than 10 minute interruption.
(4) Between 7:00 am 8:00 we’ll be upgrading the network bandwidth from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps for McCullough, there will be an interruption of network connectivity to McCullough for less than 15 minutes.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to enhance the performance and reliability of our IT infrastructure.