Last Spring we gathered information on all of the services that make up our academic cyberinfrastructure, services and innovations for teaching, learning, research and creativity. This resulted in a long list of services in various stages of adoption. Since collecting this information we have merged it with the ITS Services Catalog, creating one huge list. This long list became unwieldy as spreadsheets, so we have put it into an application form that allows users to filter the list.
The application is available here – http://act.middcreate.net/aci/
or you can reach it via GO-link – go/aci
Now, we need your help before we share the inventory with the world. Some of the information has changed since the inventory was gathered, and there may be some items that we missed. Also, the application may not filter the information in a way that is useful to you.
So please visit and browse the ACI and contact Joe if:
- Any of the information you see is incorrect and needs updating.
- Anything needs to be added to the inventory.
- You have a use-case for the inventory.
Thank you, in advance, for helping us make this a useful service for Middlebury.
Presenter: Rebecca Lessem, Director of Training
Training & support resources under training tab of homepage
- Webinars (basic and advanced) plus Friday Q+A with Rebecca at noon eastern time
Overview of how recordings move through the Panopto system
- All videos are “deeply searchable” via automatic speech recognition + OCR software
- Special plugin to powerpoint makes slide text searchable, too!
- Title, keywords, metadata
- Searchability is only English language-based? (Petar)
- For other languages, uploading captions is recommended for searchability.
- You can record from any device (downloadable app)
- Remote recorder functionality – start and stop times can be pre-set (not available for Macs, PC only)
- You can also record outside of Panopto and upload to the platform
- Will be processed and searchable the same as other videos
- Quality of OCR? (Shel)
- it depends – usually works well for printed text and/or stuff that’s on-screen for a while; handwriting is obviously trickier
- Creators can add PDFs to their recordings as well as slides
- Viewing Panopto content
- Interactive web viewer
- Accessible via any browser
- Android and iOS apps
- Display is automatically optimized for the device you are viewing from
- Mp4, mp3, tablet, android, and iOS viewing formats are available for every recording made or uploaded to Panopto
- Admins have brand customization options
- Are there multiple quality versions for adaptive streaming, or just one encoding per device type? (Zach)
- Panopto should adjust automatically as long as you are accessing via the web viewer; mobile apps have just one encoding each, but creators can specify
Roles in Panopto and their permissions (creator, viewer, administrator)
- Course folder – shared with instructor and students
- My folder – personal to every user
- Assignment folder – allow for student recording
- Everyone who is a viewer in the course would be able to record via this folder without technically being a creator
- Can students easily download any videos they make for portfolio reasons? (Zach)
- Yes – multiple output options can be selected and processed into a single mp4
- Shared with me
- Any content you’ve been added to
- Each folder has its own permissions which can be adjusted
- Share – Google-esque options (specific people, organization wide, groups, public on the web, etc.)
- Groups are not auto-synced from AD (too many); course groups synced on demand from the Hub, others must be (re-)created manually.
- When you share a folder, you can assign read only, edit, or publish permissions
- If enabled, “publisher” would have to give approval for content to become visible to viewers
- Our folders are set up by Program -> Year -> Semester -> Course (Joe)
- We could structure our Panopto folders to reflect this
- Parent folder settings can be set to to apply to subfolders, or not
- Is there a master file? (Petar)
- Each file is a master file
- A copy of a file would be it’s own master file and would have to be deleted/adjusted separately from the original
Panopto from the viewer perspective
- Can adjust video speed
- Can annotate videos
- Can take notes
- Private by default, can be adjusted
- Notes can be taken in a group channel so everyone in the group can see/search each other’s notes
- Saved as metadata so student can see/search later
- Creator can delete notes
- Can participate in discussion
- Like a group chat, more public than notes
- Saved as metadata so student can see/search later
- Creator can delete discussions (if content is problematic or creator uses same video from semester to semester)
- Cannot be exported, we can submit feature request
- We don’t have it, but maybe we want it
- When enabled, Panopto shows up as a tab in the course menu
- Embedded, searchable Panopto iframe within Canvas
- Instructor can make new recordings, adjust video settings, edit videos, share videos within Canvas via the integration
- Panopto button will show up in Canvas rich text editor
- Content can be directly embedded into discussions, assignments, etc
- Recordings will live in Panopto
- Permissions for Panopto files would carry over from semester to semester without having to copy the video. This can currently be done using the Course Hub.
- Counts live stream watching? (Petar)
Can a live webcast be embedded? (Mack)
- When you prepare the link in advance, you can embed it, but it won’t show anything until the session begins.
- Does it embed the live webcast or just the recording? Didn’t seem to work when we tested. (Mack)
The new ACT Team process includes Extended Team meetings. These closed meetings allow the Team to work with expert staff and focus on evaluating solutions that inform recommendations.
We will be participating in a vendor led training on Panopto, the video management service we are piloting this fall. Proposed topics include:
- Overview of how recordings move through the Panopto system
- Logging in to Panopto from Blackboard/Canvas or directly
- How Panopto appears in Blackboard/Canvas
- How folders work in Panopto (hierarchy, subfolders, sharing)
- Roles in Panopto and their permissions (creator, viewer, administrator)
- Managing the Panopto Video Library: sharing, moving, copying videos and folders
- Viewership analytics
- No courses using Moodle sites after December.
- Q: What form does the Moodle archive need to take?
- Q: How long do we need to keep the sites?
- Policy says 2 years, until December 2018
- Q: Can Segue decommissioning be used as a model?
- Q: Can Moodle sites be exported in a usable format?
- A: They can be exported as .mbz files, we may be able to extract files and pages from them.
- Q: Is that enough?
- Review process may need to see student data, this is stripped on an import into Canvas
- A: Segue model is probably not viable
- Q: What hosting solutions are possible?
- Local – considerations are that it needs to be set up the same way as the R-L hosted version. Adam will follow up.
- Keep at R-L for a reduced cost. Joe will follow up.
- MiddCreate – concern is the Moodle instance may be too big. Sean will follow up.
- Q: How long do we have before an archive solution needs to be in place?
- Other considerations
- Leng course content. Sean will follow up.
- Chinese Placement Exam. ODL is working with the Chinese School to use the UNC hosted version of the adaptive placement exam for the near term.
- This is the start of the conversation, please be prepared to discuss in the future.
ACI (Academic Cyberinfrastructure Inventory)
- Doreen has been adding inventory items (THANK YOU!!!). She is currently working on the items in the ITS Service Catalog.
- Joe will present the inventory at an all-Library meeting. Please share with people you feel are interested in the inventory, we would like to know how it can be useful. We also need to update the information and make additions.
- Most of the dependencies are in the ITS list, these will be added.
- Q: Should dependencies be a cascading or a flat list?
- A: TBD these are the kinds of questions and discussions we want to have.
- Needs taxonomy definitions.
- Extended Team will be asked to review items from their area on a 2-4 times per year. The ACTT will update based on the progress of our evaluations.
- Inventory is available at http://go.middlebury.edu/aci or http://act.middcreate.net/aci
The Team sorted values collected in Padlet, then each member summarized the values in a category. The results are below.
We engage in our work with Middlebury community partners, colleagues, and amongst ourselves with a collaborative spirit and a commitment to fostering and supporting agency, empathy, and curiosity on all sides.
We approach our work from a critical lens, taking into consideration the technical, administrative, as well as pedagogical sides of each recommendation to ensure that solutions truly address underlying needs.
We strive to serve all our constituents equitably across campuses. This necessitates intentional and mindful communication internally, as well as with the parties represented/impacted by our recommendations and decisions.
We lead and participate in complex evaluations, balancing the current needs of the institution with the need to change and innovate. We encourage exploration of what is possible, and inspire others to do the same.
Openness & Growth
We are open to new ideas, suggestions, and ways of doing things; continually inquiring and learning as individuals and a team.
ACTT activities are accessible, discoverable and visible to the Middlebury community. Secrecy is utilized as little as necessary.
- What does ‘public’ actually mean?
- Partial list of installed LTI’s
- Adobe Connect, Lib Guides, Chat Room, Course Load, Andover Fulcrum
- Khan Academy
- Ted Ed App
- 3D game lab
- Amy S. noticed some were added to course she and Bob are working, but they didn’t add them.
- Didn’t know we already had so many already installed, many related to Adobe Connect.
- What is Ref Me? Something of Stacy’s, American Studies? Likely research guide tool.
- Need more info on the difference between public, name only and anonymous?
What do we do with this info?
- -Most are LTI’s been installed by faculty
- Contact Faculty, let them know they are sharing roster info with third party service via LTI? Who should take on that notification, ODL, GLC…? Discussion.
- We now have LTI governance and use that to work through the existing LTI’s(Sean)
- (Joe) most concerned with the LTI’s that are public.
- Research to see if the publics are actually sharing information.
- Name only, Arc(Canvas internal) and Ref Me(helps with Apa citations).
- Is Ref Me legacy? Amy F. has looked in the course and isn’t sure what is creating it. May want to check with Brian Carson.
Amy F. will check with Brian about Ref Me
Joe will inquire with Instructure (Libby) about different categories; public, name only and anonymous. Are LTI’s auto enabled when using contact YouTube, Vimeo
- Public FERPA violation? Joe believes students need to be notified and offered option to opt out of the service.
- Concerns about how we are going to be able to police this.
- Many may be activated based upon content being added, not deliberately installed.
- Joe A. concern about public and name only.
- Do we want to be gatekeeper or turn off faculties ability to turn on LTI?
- Faculty have agreements when doing blog posts, that informs student that work will be available for world to see. Frequently used in writing program.
Dashboard for LTI’s in evaluation process. Old Project Academic Cyberinfrastructure Project, being reengaged to take on LTI’s we don’t want multiple inventories.
Joe A. will work on it and report back in about a month.
Had used Google Fusion tables and reached limits, going to make prototype, make searchable and we will try and evaluate.
Adam had gotten inquiry about the inventory and if their were any deliverables available to share. Joe A. said Fusion tables and spreadsheet are available. People can be pointed to spreadsheet for immediate future. https://docs.google.com/a/middlebury.edu/spreadsheets/d/1E97qVa22IviurL2NtRsgdWey05IkEntlaKNVj8ttUVk/edit?usp=sharing
ACTT Shared Values:
- Sean, Joe and Bob had meeting with people who had been through process.
- How do we go about creating our shared value as a group.
- Values need to apply to work the group does.
- Does Core Group know the work of the ACTT. If we don’t have clarity on the work, creating values will be more challenging.
- What work, core team? Extended team? Touching work?
- Amy S. start narrow, with recommendation process.
- Part of work in evaluations, hard to evaluate without values.
- Begin with core team?
- Adequate Excellence, Legum(swedish for just enough)?
- Adam? What is the point of exercise? Checklist for evaluations?
- -originally context of class where working with clients, researching clients. Research context? How to do approach research ethically.
- -Ethics for how you develop relationship with those you serve.
- Project by project, or have overall values and apply overall to project?
- ODL started to draft some values. For customers to know our approach. Ethics can become part of core message outward facing, can also help when doing the work.
- Important to discuss how we would use this in our work. Perhaps each time we took on a project. And as recommendation is being finalized.
- Bob C. having values informs the work and makes review less ad hoc.
- Values could be part of the outward facing portion of the group. When working with us, this is how we would work.
- Client’s values could be taken into consideration.
- Each team member identified 5 values and definitions for ACTT work
- Focus on evaluation and recommendation work
- Shared Google Doc for submission of values
- Wordsmithing will occur during meeting discussion
Bob hosting Panopto intro
Four courses including Panopto, including ‘Batman unlimited’
Jamie Cloud Storage
Home directory ITS project group reshuffled. Timeline laid out December, liscense renewal for backup software due in February with monitor implications.
- Took some time to get the meeting going, meeting was not showing up in some people’s Hangout dashboard
- Sean showed Joe how to park a Hangout url, we will use that from now on
Canvas LTI Governance
- Joe shared Bill K’s feedback with the rest of the ACTT
- Requests should be submitted to ATG/DLC/ODL by faculty, requests should be shared with the ACTT
- ATG/DLC/ODL members will evaluate the LTI
- Test installation
- Confirm utility with requestor
- Check use of student data by the LTI
- Complete the SaaS if necessary.
- ACTT will confirm completion of the evaluation, and will evaluate for the sub-account and platform levels.
- A flowchart of the process is available here.
- Q: Can we create a list of LTIs and where they are in the process?
- A: yes. Let’s start with a spreadsheet, then see if that is adequate
- Q: Do we know what LTIs have been installed already?
- A: yes. Canvas can export an LTI report. Joe will run the report and share it.
- Attendance tool was disabled, it creates conflicts with the gradebook. We’ll collect requests, examine the feature, and maybe address the conflict with education for the following semester.
Web Conferencing/Adobe Connect Replacement
- Bob, Sean and Joe met with Petar and Mack to discuss a plan for looking at 4 services in a short amount of time. The hope is we can either eliminate a few, or identify one that is noticeably better than the others.
- In one meeting the Extended Team and other guests will spend 10-15 minutes in each services, test features, then jump to the next service.
- The invitation will be shared on the All Things Digital Slack channel, as well
- Interested faculty can join via invitation.
- Plan is to do this at the Extended Team meeting on October 4th.
- Bob, Sean, Petar, Mack and Joe will design a detailed plan on October 3rd, Joe will share out with the meeting invitation.
- We will have an open In-progress Project meeting on October 11th to discuss the results.
It can take a while for a student to show up in the course roster after they have submitted an add/drop card. Faculty can add students to the Canvas course site while this process is happening, however students will not be available through Canvas until they have been added to a Canvas course space using […]