With a tagline like this: ”A spectacular historical atlas refashioned for the 21st century” who can resist? Check out the Atlas of the Historical Geography of the United States presented by the Digital Scholarship Lab at the University of Richmond to view a digital version of Charles O. Paullin and John K. Wright’s atlas that was originally published in 1932.
Exciting! Students and staff at University College London serendipitously discovered a type 1a supernova in M82 on January 22. Read about it here!
Supernova in M82, before and after, by E. Guido, N. Howes, M. Nicolini, January 2014.
If you are very keen, check out the IAU Transient Object Followup Reports.
Research Desk Poetry (and more at the LIS Facebook page):
Is your refrigerator running? Then it might be spamming people.
Google is pulling the plug on guest blogging for increased ranking.
If you put an email address in a Google Calendar event’s title, that person will get a reminder of the event, even if you don’t share it with them. This is “expected behavior” according to Google.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine) becomes … STEAM?
Pew Internet & American Life Project reports on escalating use of e-books. “The proportion of Americans who read e-books is growing, but few have completely replaced print books for electronic versions.”
Yale Students made a better version of its Course Catalog. Then Yale shut it down.
The Wikimedia Foundation’s multimedia team seeks community guidance on whether or not to support the MP4 video file format on Wikimedia projects.
MapGive – Open Mapping from the US State Department.
The latest version of Chrome will tell you which browser tabs are playing sound or using your webcam.
Adobe Adds 3D Printing Tools to Photoshop - Before 3D printers crank out objects, a user needs digital model — either one they create or download from the Internet. Once you’ve got one, though, you’ll need software that supports 3D imagery if you want to edit it. As of today, Photoshop users can design, edit and customize those 3D models similar to how you might adjust a 2D picture within the app.
10 things I DON’T miss about old technology – The good old days of 1980s technology weren’t always good. Read about 10 things few (if any) people will miss about that era.
Watch/ Read: Governor Shumlin’s 2014 Governor’s Budget Address – Delivered by Governor Peter Shumlin to the Vermont Legislature on January 15, 2014
For trend comparison, the previous month’s statistics are included in parentheses.
- www.middlebury.edu: 352,885 (448,980) visits from 204,353 (260,230) people
- sites.middlebury.edu: 40,595 (67,394) visits from 34,798 (56,212) people
- mediawiki.middlebury.edu: 20,399 (21,648) visits from 19,207 (20,454) people
- menus.middlebury.edu: 19,311 (35,255) visits from 7,884 (19,571) people
- portal.middlebury.edu: 9,462 (12,424) visits from 5,118 (7,069) people
- biblio.middlebury.edu: 7,819 (12,768) visits from 6,083 (10,206) people
- web.middlebury.edu*: 6,700 (10,729) visits from 6,145 (10,094) people
- courses.middlebury.edu: 6,471 (15,181) visits from 4,852 (12,254) people
- catalog.middlebury.edu: 4,905 (36,063) visits from 4,643 (28,608) people
- facstaff.middlebury.edu: 3,803 (4,356) visits from 3,262 (3,817) people
* Note: The Online Directory was moved from web.middlebury.edu to directory.middlebury.edu on December 19.
- www.middlebury.edu: 178,969 (215,158) pageviews
- menus.middlebury.edu: 22,618 (36,457) pageviews
- www.middlebury.edu/academics: 19,854 (25,351) pageviews
- www.middlebury.edu/athletics: 19,378 (37,042) pageviews
- www.middlebury.edu/admissions: 19,032 (15,889) pageviews
- www.middlebury.edu/admissions/apply: 13,359 (8,793) pageviews
- www.middlebury.edu/academics/lib: 12,819 (20,709) pageviews
- portal.middlebury.edu/home: 12,346 (15,930) pageviews
- www.middlebury.edu/athletics/sports: 10,951 (20,147) pageviews
www.middlebury.edu/ls: 8,549 (7,939) pageviews
- Search Midd: 378 (438)
- academic calendar: 237 (259)
- middfiles: 180 (313)
- mojo: 150 (80)
- moodle: 125 (243)
- menu: 70 (103)
- sites.middlebury.edu: 64 (109)
- webcam: 53 (51)
- interview: 50 (48)
- jobs: 46 (77)
- Safari: 33.09% (34.73%)
- Desktop Safari: 18.79% (20.70%)
- Mobile Safari: 13.24% (13.07%)
- Safari (in-app): 1.06% (0.96%)
- Chrome: 30.51% (30.90%)
- Firefox: 16.98% (16.70%)
- Internet Explorer: 15.27% (15.24%)
- IE8: 7.72% (7.55%)
- IE10: 2.36% (4.04%)
- IE9: 2.17% (2.05%)
- IE7: 1.67% (1.56%)
- IE11: 1.31%*
- IE6: 0.04% (0.03%)
- Android Browser: 1.29% (1.11%)
* Note: This is the first month that Google Analytics has been able to identify IE11 traffic, starting on December 17.
- Windows: 43.39% (39.81%)
- Macintosh: 37.92% (42.35%)
- iOS: 15.04% (14.84%)
- Android: 2.58% (2.16%)
- Linux: 0.38% (0.35%)
- BlackBerry: 0.09% (0.09%)
- Windows Phone: 0.09% (0.09%)
I’ve applied the latest update to our WordPress platforms sites.middlebury.edu and sites.miis.edu. This update includes three major new features:
- An updated administration interface with improved mobile device support.
- A click-to-add widget administration interface.
- The new Twenty Fourteen magazine-style theme.
Here’s a short video covering the changes.
More information about this update can be found on WordPress.org including a full list of the changes to the platform.
The following stats refer to activity on the Middlebury College Facebook page, the Middlebury College Twitter account, and share buttons on the main Middlebury College website. For trend comparison, the previous month’s statistics are included in parentheses, where appropriate.
- 159 (247) new people liked our Page, while 42 (33) people unliked our Page.
- 864 (1535) unique people shared stories about our page. These stories include liking our Page, posting to our Page’s Wall, liking, commenting on or sharing one of our Page posts, answering a Question we posted, RSVPing to one of our events, mentioning our Page, phototagging our Page or checking in at our Place. [Daily People Talking About This]
- 16354 (71173) unique people saw one of the items shared in that way. [Daily Viral Reach]
- 58028 (128053) unique people saw content associated with our Page. [Daily Total Reach]
Top Five Facebook Posts
“Reach” is the number of people who saw the post. “Engagement” is the number of people who clicked on the post.
- Photos and story from Homecoming ’13! Reach: 7136, Engagement: 634
- Three NESCAC championships in one weekend! Congratulations to Panther field hockey, football, and women’s soccer. Women’s Cross Country won their title a couple of weeks ago. Full coverage here: http://www.middlebury.edu/athletics/ Reach: 6108, Engagement: 421
- College Value Rankings Reach: 5836, Engagement: 1025
- Middlebury in DC Comes to Washington Reach: 5420, Engagement: 451
- U.S. Women’s Hockey Team defeated Finland 5-1 in Kenyon Arena today, then stuck around to sign autographs for the big crowd of Middlebury kids who came to see them play.. Reach: 4710, Engagement: 325
ShareThis is a service that tracks the clicks on the sharing buttons on our website. These buttons are shown on news postings, which are primarily found in the News Room, Arts, Sustainability, and Athletics sections of the site.
Shares By Channel
- Facebook: 86 (68) Shares, 6447 (3122) Clicks
- Email: 49 (40) Shares, 343 (254) Clicks
- Twitter: 32 (20) Shares, 692 (521) Clicks
- LinkedIn: 8 (7) Shares, 10 (0) Clicks
- Google+: 2 (0) Shares, 0 (0) Clicks