As noted back in January, Google is transitioning all Google Apps accounts to a new infrastructure. Google had identified July 25th, 2011 as the date that accounts in Middlebury’s Google Apps instance would be automatically transitioned, however we have elected to delay that transition until we have had an opportunity to notify and advise individuals who have conflicting accounts.
If you have not already done so, please review and complete the transition readiness checklist items that pertain to your individual situation as soon as possible.
If something goes wrong for you, send me a note and we’ll work it out together.
Please try to keep in mind that Middlebury’s Google Apps (MGA) instance is considered a “live pilot” and as such, not everyone with a middlebury.edu address has an MGA account. Thus, it is possible to have a conflicting account even if you are not using MGA. Users with conflicting accounts will be forced to rename their account to something NOT middlebury.edu. You can take care of this prior to the automatic transition by resolving your conflicting account (see #2).
PS. Here is the email from Google…
Subject: Changes are coming for your @middlebury.edu Google Apps account
Hello Google Apps user,
Important changes are coming to your @middlebury.edu Google Apps account. Your account will soon be converted and start working more like a full Google Account.
What this change will mean for you:
- Access to many more Google products. You’ll soon be able to use all the Google services that your administrator allows you to access with your middlebury.edu account.
- New sign in option. You will be able to sign in to Google services from the regular sign-in pages (like http://mail.google.com). Your username is your full middlebury.edu email address.
- Data ownership. All data contained in middlebury.edu Google Apps accounts continues to be owned by your organization, and is subject to middlebury.edu’s terms and conditions. Learn more
- For more information, we encourage you to review the Transition Checklist. The Help Center also has answers to many common questions (note that you won’t be able to view the full Help Center until you’ve been transitioned).
- If you have other questions, please contact your administrator.
We hope you enjoy your new improved Google Apps account!
Your Google Apps administrator