Response: 6 reasons why Gossip Girl was frustrating to watch

This response to to the following article: Gossip Girl article

1. As of yet, the series ongoing question, “Who is Gossip Girl?” is only answered by the annoyingly prissy refrain, “That’s the only secret I’ll never tell.” Maybe it’s because I have only seen the three episodes screened in class, which all had central plot-lines about the Gossip Girl network, but I found it hard to believe a show could continually withhold this type of narrative knowledge from its viewer and not incur viewer wrath/ indifference. I personally grew sick of it after three episodes. The fact that the third episode puts the question on hold by proposing, “We are all gossip girl,” that was paraphrased– made me just want to take a baseball hat to my head and whack it a few times to get a head-start on the brain cells I’d be losing by continuing watching. In other words, I don’t find the meta-commentary about the show’s fans gossiping as well to be deep enough to merit the unanswered narrative device. That’s reason #1

2. Why is every main character caucasian and then all of Blaire’s cronies asian, african-american, tibetan, etcetera? In wanting to produce a show about New York’s rich, they made the assumption that all main characters had to be white and yet still felt a need to fulfill an ethnicity quota? I don’t live in NY and I didn’t go to a prep school anywhere, but even if it is as inaccurate as I’d presume, such a segregated aesthetic is vomit-inducing. Again, maybe I’m misrepresenting the show due to my lack of narrative knowledge, but why not make all those ethnic cronies seem more like people, humans, friends, instead of symbols? That’s #2

3. Seeing a room of twenty twenty-something year old actors all pretending to be teenagers answering a text simultaneously… makes me hate the presumed image of our generation, “millennials” and how we are being recorded in history on so many levels.

4. The fact a gorgeous blonde in a perfect red dress is told by another gorgeous blonde girl that she would look “even better in the black dress,” when they are both already gorgeous blondes on TV shopping, and the fact that this is a culminating moment supposed to build their budding friendship, all makes me want to find my trusty baseball bat again and make good use of it.

5. That the “loner” is just as preppy as all the other characters and is let into the inner circle in the pilot episode and never really epitomizes lonerness because his real narrative purpose is to fake represent lonerness to gain viewer sympathy, so the viewer can live vicariously through the lucky fake fake individual.

6. That I secretly enjoyed the show and found it way too engaging.