Student Voices

Why did you choose to become a history major?

“Both of my parents are history professors, so it’s a little cliché, but I’ve always been fascinated by the past and its impact upon us.”

“I have always been interested in history and wanted to dive into that passion.”

“I have various interests and like the freedom that a history majors offers to delve into pretty much any topic imagined.”

“I chose a history major because of my first year seminar.”

“I have loved history all my life. History provides models for us to follow, and has so much relevance in current events. History is my “medicine for a sick mind” just like it was for Livy.”

“It gets me more excited than any other subject.”

“I have been fascinated by history for as long as I can remember because I always wondered: why are things the way they are? What happened to make them so?”

“I was looking for a way to channel my passion for East Asian Studies into a more concrete major at Middlebury, and history quickly became the obvious answer.”

“I chose a history major because it grants me a better understanding of the complex realities of the world we currently live in.”

“I find history to be relevant to almost everything we do and talk about in our day-to-day lives.”

“I wanted to learn how to write clearly and concisely.”

“I took a humanities class in high school that I loved.”

“I have been interested in history throughout my academic life, so after initially declaring a Classics major, I decided to add a second major in History to complement my work in ancient literature and to prepare myself for graduate work in archaeology.”

“History has been my favorite subject since elementary school. I think learning about the past gives us context for everything that is happening in the world today.”